Pear!!!

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
yeah thats what im afraid of, the temp down there has been a bit unstable and i was wondering if that had something to do with it but im not totally sure i will pull corks tonight to see what i have happening here i may need to put it back in a carboy again.

Put one in the reefer and cool it off before you try opening it. Also, handle it gently, no shaking. Good luck with it, Arne.

good news no pop when the cork is removed, now why so cloudy hahah

Dis you add sorbate when you back-sweetened it?? Sometimes when back-sweetening a wine it will cloud up, but this usually happens imediately.

BOB

yup followed typical k-meta and sorbate procedures all was good wine was crystal clear, the first time i added juice after sorbate it took off again on its own but i rushed it a bit so i let it finish again the sorbate and k-meta again and let it sit for a while. then back sweetened again and let it sit a while longer, then bottled.

wow this has cleared a ton!!! i was really expecting a bear to clear cause i really put the squeeze on the pulp but another couple of weeks should be clear enough to see through.

I put a good bit of peach nectar in one vessel of peach wine I was having trouble clearing. However, that vessel, which was small, cleared immediately. I began to think the pulp in the nectar influenced that. However, It made fluffy kind of lees.

I guess in that case you may lose some wine.

an update to 3 gallons of this, I got 3 plastic jugs and did some freezing, i then poured off the good stuff, basically like "apple jack wine", wow the flavor is amazing, the ABV is considerably higher but the flavor is so much stronger. out of the 3 gallons I got about 1.5 gallons. I then added basically apple pie spice, (ginger, cinnamon, cloves, nutmeg) to make a nice spiced pear. I now plan to let this gallon sit. in the half gallon I just added a cinnamon stick which i will also let sit until say thanksgiving or Christmas or until the wine gremlins make an unexpected visit :)

saramc

i was reading that article some and it says this

"To test for heat stability, heat a wine sample at 80° C (176° F) for 10 minutes and then place it in a freezer for several hours. Retrieve the sample and let it warm up to room temperature; if it shows any sign of haze or precipitation, then the wine is not protein or heat stable and requires a bentonite treatment."

for this would i need bentonite in secondary? reason i ask i had it in primary

Last edited:
an update to 3 gallons of this, I got 3 plastic jugs and did some freezing, i then poured off the good stuff, basically like "apple jack wine", wow the flavor is amazing, the ABV is considerably higher but the flavor is so much stronger. out of the 3 gallons I got about 1.5 gallons. I then added basically apple pie spice, (ginger, cinnamon, cloves, nutmeg) to make a nice spiced pear. I now plan to let this gallon sit. in the half gallon I just added a cinnamon stick which i will also let sit until say thanksgiving or Christmas or until the wine gremlins make an unexpected visit :)

saramc

i was reading that article some and it says this

"To test for heat stability, heat a wine sample at 80° C (176° F) for 10 minutes and then place it in a freezer for several hours. Retrieve the sample and let it warm up to room temperature; if it shows any sign of haze or precipitation, then the wine is not protein or heat stable and requires a bentonite treatment."

for this would i need bentonite in secondary? reason i ask i had it in primary

I had been told that bentonite in the primary does not necessarily heat stabilize a wine, so a treatment of bentonite to help heat stabilize can be necessary later on. I personally have not done any heat stabilization though I have watched the process using a cooler and a temp controlled device.

And the pearjack sounds fabulous.

I had been told that bentonite in the primary does not necessarily heat stabilize a wine, so a treatment of bentonite to help heat stabilize can be necessary later on. I personally have not done any heat stabilization though I have watched the process using a cooler and a temp controlled device.

And the pearjack sounds fabulous.

hmmm interesting, well if there was more of it i would but at this point in time i believe i will just let it go, it still tastes just fine and I only have about 5 bottles of it left, not including the pearjack. Im excited for this pear jack with some age the heat is mild and the flavor was great, I hope to report back with great news on how it turned out :db

added some more pear juice to the pearjack may take it through another run, flavor is good but the pear flavor is still weak

Latest posts

Back