Pear Wine

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Like to know how it turns out with the Oak chips added. Checked mine this morning and it’s bubbling away. Might add oak to a gallon at secondary just to see how it turns out.
I bought some med toast oak chips yesterday in the big city so now I need to soak them in vodka based on what my supplier told me for a couple weeks in the fridge and the add them to my secondary fermentation and "check the taste"? in a few days so it doesn't become too over powering. Well here goes anybody chime in if you have thoughts on this.

I bought some med toast oak chips yesterday in the big city so now I need to soak them in vodka based on what my supplier told me for a couple weeks in the fridge and the add them to my secondary fermentation and "check the taste"? in a few days so it doesn't become too over powering. Well here goes anybody chime in if you have thoughts on this.

Why are you soaking them in vodka?

Why are you soaking them in vodka?
Some folks said to soak them in bourbon or whisky to start the flavor to come out and leave the juice behind after taking out the HOP SOCK with a small amount of oak chips inside. Then I have the option of adding some of it later. I don't have much hard liquor in my home but vodka I use in my bubblers to keep out bugs or germs so that's the closest thing. Do you have another idea?

Rinse them in filtered water and put in wine.
If I want just a hint of oak to add another slight dimension to the flavor of my pear wine do you have any suggestions of how much "like a OZ's" and about how long to let them rest inside the carboy on my second fermentation? I will be happy with any suggestions you may want to provide me. Michael

If I want just a hint of oak to add another slight dimension to the flavor of my pear wine do you have any suggestions of how much "like a OZ's" and about how long to let them rest inside the carboy on my second fermentation? I will be happy with any suggestions you may want to provide me. Michael
Put them in, and after a week start sneaking a taste, when it gets close to what you want then start tasting every day until it’s what you want then take them out

Racked to secondary a couple days ago and the wine was quite yellow, cloudy and the yeast (ec-1118) was still working away. Taste tested and think its going to be a winner. Checked today and the activity in the airlock has slowed down considerably. Thinking it could probably be finished some time this week.

Latest posts

Back