Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
We are on a small homestead in Massachusetts. We will be starting a vineyard (20 - 30 vines) next spring. There are two areas we could use that get full sun. Unfortunately both are flat and one was pasture so it will require significant drainage. We are doing 5-6ft between vines and 6-8ft row spacing. Suggestions on wood vs steel trellis is appreciated.

We are getting several cold hard varieties from Northeastern Vine and a few to try for fun. Has anyone had success with Grapesforwine cuttings?

What varieties have people planted in Massachusetts and New England? Any varieties that suprised you? Any you regret planting or would do differently?

We are on a small homestead in Massachusetts. We will be starting a vineyard (20 - 30 vines) next spring. There are two areas we could use that get full sun. Unfortunately both are flat and one was pasture so it will require significant drainage. We are doing 5-6ft between vines and 6-8ft row spacing. Suggestions on wood vs steel trellis is appreciated.

We are getting several cold hard varieties from Northeastern Vine and a few to try for fun. Has anyone had success with Grapesforwine cuttings?

What varieties have people planted in Massachusetts and New England? Any varieties that suprised you? Any you regret planting or would do differently?
I have a novice vineyard in the mountains 6b. I tried to save by putting in the trees (locust and cedar) that I already had on my property. My biggest regret was not following the recommendation of putting the end posts at an angle or using ground anchors. I have since added anchors or put in and angled post ahead of the initial end post. Most of my plants were free by getting cuttings from a friendly local commercial vineyard. they were happy to donate them at the time they were doing their winter pruning. That is one way to judge what grapes would grow well in your local area.

Welcome and hello, I bought 20 Cab Sauv cuttings from Grapesforwine, and not one of them grew. They were all dead wood. I emailed,called,and sent texts to these people and they never responded. I had to get a refund from my credit card co.
I am also in Ma. and I will be planting Petite Pearl and Marquette cuttings that are growing in tree pots at the moment, they are a good hybrid for northern climate.
ent

Welcome to WMT!

If you scroll down the list of forums, you will see “Grape Growing & Vineyard Forum”. Within this forum, you will find a number of threads which describe the process people have followed in planting their own home vineyards. One in particular to point out is “Vineyard From the Beginning - Grapeman” which is pinned to the top of the list and is a real classic.

Best of luck to you

Welcome to WMT!

If you scroll down the list of forums, you will see “Grape Growing & Vineyard Forum”. Within this forum, you will find a number of threads which describe the process people have followed in planting their own home vineyards. One in particular to point out is “Vineyard From the Beginning - Grapeman” which is pinned to the top of the list and is a real classic.

Best of luck to you
Thank you so much! This was very helpful!

Like Vinodom, I have a small vineyard in 6b in the Valley.
I have 50+ vines. My only regret was jumping into the grafted vines after excitement of my first batch of rooted Chambourcin. I lost most of my Cab Franc and Petit Verdot, and all of my Viognier. However, except for those, my first vines and all subsequent vines came from AAA Vineyards.
I'm growing Marchal Foch, Marquette, Vidal Blanc, Noiret, and Tramminette, along with those mentioned above.
Welcome and good luck! I think you'll enjoy it.

I have 50+ vines. My only regret was jumping into the grafted vines after excitement of my first batch of rooted Chambourcin. I lost most of my Cab Franc and Petit Verdot, and all of my Viognier. However, except for those, my first vines and all subsequent vines came from AAA Vineyards.
I'm growing Marchal Foch, Marquette, Vidal Blanc, Noiret, and Tramminette, along with those mentioned above.
We are having trouble deciding between Marquette and Frontenac. They seems so similar. For a beginner choosing a vine feels like a big commitment and I'm afraid of making the wrong choice and finding out 4 years later.

Sorry to hear about the vines. That is quite a disappointment!

If I had to choose between Frontenac and Marquette, I would choose Marquette. I am in SW Nebraska, and have row of each. There are many factors, of course. I heard that Frontenac makes a good Port style.

I also have more recent plantings of Petite Pearl, which are much slower to mature, but the one oldest one is very productive and tastes better and doesn't have the high acid like the high acid that Frontenac has.

Latest posts

Back