Pear Wine

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Scott

Reaction score
Started the pear from Jack Keller's receipe and added 2 cans of white grape, here are the pears and golden raisins waiting for the mixture of as the northern gals say "usual suspects"
20081116_183446_pear_must_Small.jpg

stirring the must daily
20081116_183955_pear_must_003_S.jpg

letting the must settle 24 hrs to transfer to secondary, will keep ya updated as progress
20081116_184828_pear_must_004_S.jpg

Started at 1.081 and this morning when removed the bag was 1.001.

Whe you do put in in the carboy stir it as if you were degassing to get some C02 out of suspension to protect your wine. Some like to rack a little earlier to let fermentation make a blanket of C02 in the carboy but Ive been letting it finish in primary lately with good results.

Will do, thanks Wade. Are you thinking I am transfering too early?

Ya know I probably should have put this under the forum of fruit wines, oh well.

Moved it, Some choose to rack earlier like I said but Ive been using the RJS kit instructions lately and like the results as its easier to degas. You should either stir it to release some C02 or move it a liitle earlier so that it is still venting C02 from fermentation.

I see, I could have moved it earlier but as the instructions said when done with heavy ferm remove strainer bag and let sit for 24 hrs to settle. I will put that on the note for next time.

I did transfer and used the degassing wand this morning, thanks for the advice.

Is that why one transfers around 1.010forany activity to protect the wine in the secondary or if let sg too low to stir to create some.

Man that hurts when the light bulb comes on.
smiley38.gif
Edited by: Scott

Racked, stabilized and degassed today didn't taste too bad either. Wait to clear some more and rack again.
20081127_155151_pear_002_Small.jpg

Looking good there Scott. I'm going to start a pear shortly and hope mine looks that good.

Eland

Thanks all, it is addicting. Just put the pearand the Chocolate Raspberry Port into secondarys and starting the high bush cranberry tonight...help I can't stop
smiley29.gif

You think you have problems. You should have 30+++ carboys and still not have enough room. I need to wait until next year to begin anymore.

Appleman next year is really close!

I must have problems just ordered another kit, only need the superkleer sooo to offset the shipping cost!!! What could I do?

Now I have to get some heat to my shop to make some wine racks, my wife doesn't like the bottles all over. Until it's time to drink some
smiley20.gif

Bottled the pear today, had a glass left over so what to do?????

Surprised me by tasting good then chilled it and even better.

Success

OK Scott..Time for an update on that Pear Wine. How is it? My son hit me up Sundat evning to make him and his friend a 6 gallon batch of Pear wine. I have never made a Pear and was wondering if anyone has ever steam/juiced pears?

Waldo I made a pear mead but used baby food juice. This was one of my test batches and I found the juice on sale. I have a larger batch planned and was thinking of putting them through the juicer.
VC

Latest posts

Back