Peach Wine...

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
After a year+ thinking and reading about it, I am going to attempt my first peach wine!

God I hope I don't frustrate the crap out of myself :D
View attachment 77466

I think the number one thing you can do to improve your chances at a good peach wine is add extra pectic enzyme right up front. Maybe a double or triple dosage to help break down the fruit as much as possible. Then number two would be to limit the water/non-peach liquid added. Oh and third, peach takes quite a long time to develop the peach flavor, after bottling. First peach I made was kinda meh. but I stumbled across a two or maybe three year-old bottle and the peach aroma/flavor would knock your socks off as you opened the bottle.

Your best flavor will come when those peaches are soft and squishy ripe* Just before the get moldy. The sugar and flavor are peak. And I promise you that if you go with just 7lbs of fruit per gallon, you will NOT be disappointed in the flavor of the wine if those peaches are really ripe. The key is to increase your starting volume at least 50% to allow for lees lost and to have plenty for topping off. That way you don't diminish the flavor with a white wine or something else. That means about 10 lbs of peaches to end up with 1 gallon of finished wine.

* Best way I can describe the perfect peach is that when you try to eat one the juice gets all over you. You can't tear them in half without the juice covering your hands. THAT's the peach you want for your wine.

The only issue is that you will have to have lots of patience for it to clear. I'd recommend getting enough extra so you can freeze them for smoothies, peach ice cream etc until at least a year from the end of ferment OR LONGER. But you will enjoy that first glass of chilled peach wine so much.

After a year+ thinking and reading about it, I am going to attempt my first peach wine!

God I hope I don't frustrate the crap out of myself :D
View attachment 77466
Hello Aiserock, from a nearby Ohio neighbor, and welcome to the site. I am going today to Branstool's Orchard in Utica to get peach seconds for MY peach wine. Winemaking has been a wonderful adventure for me as a new hobby just before the pandemic hit. Take it slow, ask alot of questions, and read up on all you can, but DO NOT allow yourself to get frustrated! Enjoy this new hobby, and I am sure you will enjoy reaping the benefits even moreso. Good luck to you...............................DizzyIzzy

Does anyone remove the skin from the peaches. A jelly maker told me if you blanch the peaches the skins come right off. I don't know exactly what blanching is but they told me to put them in boiling water for 30-60 seconds then in an ice bath. Even if I don't do it it gave me an excuse to buy a 60 quart turkey fryer. I probably won't use it as a turkey fryer but rather low country boils.

BTW, the $.20/lb peaches are beautiful.

Attachments

• Peaches Pic 1.jpg
    Peaches Pic 1.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 14
  • Peaches Pic 2.jpg
    Peaches Pic 2.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 14
I blanched and peeled about a dozen. Way, way, way too much work. Especially considering I'm doing 300 lbs.
I have only done that for the rare jam or preserve. My usual thing is a chutney with peaches, raisins, apples, spices. I don’t care- all skins in. I usually don't notice them. Pickled peaches, I do peel, but they aren't the ripest/softest so easier.
I wondered how the fruit was, looks wonderful. Are they freestone? I didn't even ask.

I have only done that for the rare jam or preserve. My usual thing is a chutney with peaches, raisins, apples, spices. I don’t care- all skins in. I usually don't notice them. Pickled peaches, I do peel, but they aren't the ripest/softest so easier.
I wondered how the fruit was, looks wonderful. Are they freestone? I didn't even ask.

I think they are freestone though some are a little clingy. They need to soften a little more, just did a few to get the sugar level. Looks like 11 brix.

. . . if you are making jelly you heat the pectin and even add more pectin to make it nice and solid ,,, our goal in wine is to remove pectin since it makes the beverage look cloudy.
A jelly maker told me if you blanch the peaches the skins come right off.
When I make peach butter, I blanch the fruit (heating the skin with steam or hot water to cause it to blister/ rub off)

. . . if you are making jelly you heat the pectin and even add more pectin to make it nice and solid ,,, our goal in wine is to remove pectin since it makes the beverage look cloudy.

When I make peach butter, I blanch the fruit (heating the skin with steam or hot water to cause it to blister/ rub off)

Since you are viewing this, it's my understanding once a fruit is picked you have what you have. I've heard people say let them fully ripen for the sugar levels to come up. Is there any benefit to allow the peaches to get squishy juicy.

we have two types of crops, climacteric and non climacteric,
ie some crops like bananas and peaches and apples and tomatoes continue to ripen after they are picked. (I put my peaches in flat tomato boxes at room temp to finish ripening)they soften/ the pH goes up/ AND the birds don’t damage them. Commercially they are easy to ship since they are green.
some crops like strawberries and grapes and raspberries and lettuce just mold after they are picked/ never get sweeter, so we keep them refrigerated to keep the quality where it was when picked.
Since you are viewing this, it's my understanding once a fruit is picked you have what you have. I've heard people say let them fully ripen for the sugar levels to come up. Is there any benefit to allow the peaches to get squishy juicy.
let your peaches get ripe at room temperature then refrigerate or process them.

we have two types of crops, climacteric and non climacteric,
ie some crops like bananas and peaches and apples and tomatoes continue to ripen after they are picked. (I put my peaches in flat tomato boxes at room temp to finish ripening)they soften/ the pH goes up/ AND the birds don’t damage them. Commercially they are easy to ship since they are green.
some crops like strawberries and grapes and raspberries and lettuce just mold after they are picked/ never get sweeter, so we keep them refrigerated to keep the quality where it was when picked.

let your peaches get ripe at room temperature then refrigerate or process them.

So just to be clear, the sugar levels do increase after they are picked?

Edit: that was supposed to be a question, "do sugar levels increase after they are picked"?

Last edited:
The sugar level will increase as they ripen.

I learned from a peach winemaker in Alabama that keeping the skins will give the peach wine that lovely peach color/glow. Though you remove skins of peaches just like tomatoes, dip in boiling water for 30 seconds and then in ice water until cool enough to handle. The skins will come off easier if the peaches and tor tomatoes are fully ripe. Unripe of either will not peel even in the boiling water/ice water bath.

The sugar level will increase as they ripen.

I learned from a peach winemaker in Alabama that keeping the skins will give the peach wine that lovely peach color/glow. Though you remove skins of peaches just like tomatoes, dip in boiling water for 30 seconds and then in ice water until cool enough to handle. The skins will come off easier if the peaches and tor tomatoes are fully ripe. Unripe of either will not peel even in the boiling water/ice water bath.

Thanks, I was doing a little research. It appears ripening changes the starch to sugar so now that makes sense.

I have yet to understand why one would remove the skins from peaches before using them for wine making. Even if you put the peach skins in a bag to make it easier to pull after the fermentation.... That's work that has no real benefit and especially if removing the skins requires any use of heat.

I'd rather spend my time and energy mashing the peaches thoroughly and mixing in plenty of pectin to help it clear. And, yes the color in those skins are what helps your peach have a more golden or even slightly pinkish color. The skins of many fruits (and vegetables ) are where a large part of the "essense" of that fruit resides. Of course with grapes Sur Lie is a big part of the wine making process - letting the wine extract ALL the possible color, flavor, tannins etc from the grape.

Sorry if this comes across as harsh, mean etc - I'm just confused as to why folks want to bring processes into wine making that are perhaps even counter productive to producing a flavorful, colorful and aromatic wine.

One of the best aspects of that fresh glass of peach wine is sitting there smelling it and heat does not protect that element of a wine.

Last edited:
I have yet to understand why one would remove the skins from peaches before using them for wine making. Even if you put the peach skins in a bag to make it easier to pull after the fermentation.... That's work that has no real benefit and especially if removing the skins requires any use of heat.

I'd rather spend my time and energy mashing the peaches thoroughly and mixing in plenty of pectin to help it clear. And, yes the color in those skins are what helps your peach have a more golden or even slightly pinkish color. The skins of many fruits (and vegetables are where a large part of the "essense" of that fruit resides. Of course with grapes Sur Lie is a big part of the wine making process - letting the wine extract ALL the possible color, flavor, tannins etc from the grape.

Sorry if this comes across as harsh, mean etc - I'm just confused as to why folks want to bring processes into wine making that are perhaps even counter productive to producing a flavorful, colorful and aromatic wine.

One of the best aspects of that fresh glass of peach wine is sitting there smelling it and heat does not protect that element of a wine.

Brother are you harsh and mean you devil :tz. I just didn't know any better, wanted to see how the process worked and wanted to try my new toy. After seeing what a pain it was there would be no way in the world I would attempt it. Heck, pressing peaches a enough of a pain.

Back