Peach wine

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

x_diver

Reaction score
I made a peach wine back in June from pure peaches - no water. I did it last year and it turned out nice. This year, it seems to have separated? Thoughts?

ImageUploadedByWine Making1442182392.914469.jpg

I agree with Arne, that's too much head space, so the wine oxidized causing that darker top color. how does it taste?

It actually had a lot less head space but I was racking in the picture. Tastes ok.

Hi x_diver - I had this happen with a 3 gal batch GA peaches a couple of years ago. A friend of mine at an orchard in North GA told me it was due to leaving the skins on the peaches in my primary, which made sense, as I'd previously only used frozen (peeled) peaches or straight juice with a very clear end result. But I say, if it tastes good, enjoy it!

Starting New batch Peach Wine today. This is a crazy mix of peach sources but... Wanted to try to have as fresh a peach content as possible. Using Jack theory that frozen peaches are RIPE peaches where store peaches are normally picked before really ripe. So here's the basic Fruit sources list:
<3 gallon mix>
6 lb Frozen Sliced peaches (2 bags) [Best Choice]
3 x 1.8 lb Canned Peaches (in heavy surup) [DelMonte]
5 lbs Fresh peaches (Not as ripe as I would have liked but good) [Harps & Walmart]
64 Ozs Peach White grape Juice (100% Juice) [Walmart's brand 'Great Value']
32 oz Peach Mango Apple (100% Juich) [Old Orchard]
{Frozen peaches had some ascorbic acid as did the Liquid Juice added.}
Added 64 oz water (used it to dissolve my 4lbs of sugar)

Initial SG was way high 1.030 but the peaches haven't broken down yet so that is really artificially high. Will crush the peaches some more today and recheck the SG.
(Last batch of strawberry I made with frozen strawberries dropped .010 overnight while the batch went through sanitization - went from 1.022 to 1.012)
Other items in the mix:
3/4 tsp Tannin
6 tsp Pectic Enzyme
1 tsp Yeast Starter, + 1 tsp in the Yeast Starter with the K1-V116 yeast & saving 1 +tsp to add a day or two after primary is underway
Will add Acid Blend before I pitch the yeast once I have a good read on the pH
3 Tabs Campden tabs crushed and dissolved.

This was probably the most expensive batch so far but I wanted a more significant Peach flavor & to have at least a young wine to share with family this summer. Will have enough save for minimum of a year.

Latest posts

Back