Other peoples wines

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Been sitting on this since last spring. It was gifted by @Ajmassa when we met picking up grapes at Gino Pinto. Really nice nose of fresh cherries. Even though it's dry I get a perception of sweetness as well a dark fruit on the finish. All in all it's just a really nice wine. Good job AJ. BTW thanks for the bottle I don't have to delabel.

AJ 2018 Chilean Syrah.jpg

I had a nice meetup with @Rice_Guy today. He generously gave me a couple bottles of Rhubarb blush wine, some frozen rhubarb juice for me to make my own, and some spare carboys. I had the pleasure of hanging out in the "winery" (aka "laundry room") with him, and then enjoying a bad bottle that I made in the backyard on a lovely spring day. I am looking forward to sampling his wine, and making my own. Thank you!

72B2E021-6468-4BFA-9D5F-A0490B38E83D.jpg

Sitting at the table last night after dinner and we broke out (Boatboy24) Jim’s Blueberry Port. It was delicious. We had a blueberry port at a friend’s house a month or so ago. And expected this to be similar. Surprised how much better it was than what we had then.

It went down easy. Smooth. A bit less blueberry flavor than anticipated. The label, btw, cracked everyone up.

Sitting at the table last night after dinner and we broke out (Boatboy24) Jim’s Blueberry Port. It was delicious. We had a blueberry port at a friend’s house a month or so ago. And expected this to be similar. Surprised how much better it was than what we had then.

It went down easy. Smooth. A bit less blueberry flavor than anticipated. The label, btw, cracked everyone up.

Glad you all enjoyed it. That was a spontaneous wine that was conceived after hearing about a ridiculously good blueberry sale at Aldi. It was whole fermented blueberries, but I back sweetened it with Merlot concentrate. Probably explains the lower blueberry flavor. It's been aging well (8 years now, IIRC) and I've been tempted to do another.

Glad you all enjoyed it. That was a spontaneous wine that was conceived after hearing about a ridiculously good blueberry sale at Aldi. It was whole fermented blueberries, but I back sweetened it with Merlot concentrate. Probably explains the lower blueberry flavor. It's been aging well (8 years now, IIRC) and I've been tempted to do another.

I vote yes. Definitely do another.

Last night we had marinaded (sesame ginger) Ahi over coconut rice and mango for dinner. Went to the rack to find a good pairing that wasn’t our usual Chardonnay, and I found this little number BBJim’s Guava wine.

Honestly didn’t know what to expect. Can’t say I know what guava tastes like. But... wow. Aged 4 years. Tasty and a perfect pairing with the sweet of the mango and coconut rice. It was dry with medium to full body. My son, who doesn’t drink wine, tried some and even he liked it.

If I’m going to be critical, two thoughts crossed my mind drinking it: First, this might be even better a little off-dry. And, second, I wonder what this might be like with some spice, like fermented with some jalapeños.

But, between three of us, the bottle never left the table. It’s definitely an experiment that went very well.A0399771-3189-4DD4-B7D0-CFD92645FA8B.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
Last night we had marinaded (sesame ginger) Ahi over coconut rice and mango for dinner. Went to the rack to find a good pairing that wasn’t our usual Chardonnay, and I found this little number BBJim’s Guava wine.

Honestly didn’t know what to expect. Can’t say I know what guava tastes like. But... wow. Aged 4 years. Tasty and a perfect pairing with the sweet of the mango and coconut rice. It was dry with medium to full body. My son, who doesn’t drink wine, tried some and even he liked it.

If I’m going to be critical, two thoughts crossed my mind drinking it: First, this might be even better a little off-dry. And, second, I wonder what this might be like with some spice, like fermented with some jalapeños.

But, between three of us, the bottle never left the table. It’s definitely an experiment that went very well.

I have a bottle but could never decide what to pair it with, thanks for the suggestion.

But, between three of us, the bottle never left the table. It’s definitely an experiment that went very well.

I have a bottle as well but could never decide what to pair it with, thanks for the suggestion.

I had a nice meetup with @Rice_Guy today. He generously gave me a couple bottles of Rhubarb blush wine, some frozen rhubarb juice for me to make my own, and some spare carboys. I had the pleasure of hanging out in the "winery" (aka "laundry room") with him, and then enjoying a bad bottle that I made in the backyard on a lovely spring day. I am looking forward to sampling his wine, and making my own. Thank you!

View attachment 73060

Today was the day to enjoy this wine! As noted, I met up with @Rice_Guy a few weeks ago, and he gave me a couple bottles of rhubarb wine (two different treatments). It was a bit chilly today, but sunny and mild, so we sat out in the sun and enjoyed the labors of Rice's fruits. "Rhubarb blush" with a kiss of berry (strawberry, I think), perfectly backsweetened to 1.010. I am only showing two glasses, but my sister-in-law is visiting, and the wine got 3 thumbs up. 👍 We made relatively short work of it. :) Thank you!

IMG_1772.JPG

Last edited:
Last night, we sampled another of @Rice_Guy 's kind offerings. I had made a dinner whose main dish was Phillipine-style adobo chicken. (It was a pre-packaged commercial hunk of meat; I did not make the marinade.) I was casting about for what would go well with this on a warm, muggy evening, when I thought of Rice's bottle.

This wine was 85% white grape juice, and 15% crab apple, and was semi-sweet. It arrived in the glass with a beautiful golden hue. True to hope/expectation, it was refreshing, with an immediate hit of fruit and tart flavors up front (even a bit of floral note), and a lingering, tannic finish. Very happy with it, and it complemented the meal nicely. Thanks, David!

IMG_2224.jpg

Not the wine? 😃
I remember when Jim started that guava wine long ago, must be nice!!

It's been a while - I may need to crack a bottle of this.

For anyone interested: This was a 3 gallon batch that started with 2.5 gallons of guava nectar (that you find in the cardboard cartons in the Latin section of the grocery store), plus 1 gallon of bottled white grape juice. I added some pectic enzyme, FT Blanc Soft and Fermaid. I fermented at room temp in the basement. It was a slow, but clean ferment - two weeks in primary, but no off odors at all. Went to secondary at 1.004. After a month in secondary it was racked and got KMeta at 0.990. I did add some more pectic a couple months later, as it was still hazy and that did the trick. I ultimately back sweetened to 1.000, so for my taste, there is a hint of sweetness. pH came in at 3.38.

As I recall, I grabbed those cartons because they were on sale for $0.99 - I think I used 10 of them. A few more bucks for grape juice, yeast and additives, and you've got a darn cheap batch of wine. Great to pair with tropical or spicy foods.

For anyone interested: This was a 3 gallon batch that started with 2.5 gallons of guava nectar (that you find in the cardboard cartons in the Latin section of the grocery store), plus 1 gallon of bottled white grape juice. I added some pectic enzyme, FT Blanc Soft and Fermaid. I fermented at room temp in the basement. It was a slow, but clean ferment - two weeks in primary, but no off odors at all. Went to secondary at 1.004. After a month in secondary it was racked and got KMeta at 0.990. I did add some more pectic a couple months later, as it was still hazy and that did the trick. I ultimately back sweetened to 1.000, so for my taste, there is a hint of sweetness. pH came in at 3.38.

As I recall, I grabbed those cartons because they were on sale for $0.99 - I think I used 10 of them. A few more bucks for grape juice, yeast and additives, and you've got a darn cheap batch of wine. Great to pair with tropical or spicy foods.

I still have the bottle you gave me, spicy or tropical you say. I may have order a Hawaiian pizza with jalapenos.

Will ping you if I happen to go south any of these days :p

Broke out this Chardonnay that I got from @jgmann67 at the 2020 WW grape/juice pickup. Very nice. Insane color - think apple juice, and fantastic clarity. The apple theme follows through on the nose and in the mouth. This is a crisp chardonnay and I don't sense that it got any oak or MLF. But it has a very big mouthfeel. The very first sip felt a tad hot, but it may have just been that this is a bigger wine than I was expecting. Lots of green apple with hints of lemon/citrus and something else that I can't quite put my finger on - maybe kiwi? A really good wine, and the style of chardonnay that I typically like. Well done, Jim!

1635978787836.jpeg

Latest posts

Back