Other peoples wines

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

jgmann67

Rennaisance Man
Reaction score
Broke out this Chardonnay that I got from @jgmann67 at the 2020 WW grape/juice pickup. Very nice. Insane color - think apple juice, and fantastic clarity. The apple theme follows through on the nose and in the mouth. This is a crisp chardonnay and I don't sense that it got any oak or MLF. But it has a very big mouthfeel. The very first sip felt a tad hot, but it may have just been that this is a bigger wine than I was expecting. Lots of green apple with hints of lemon/citrus and something else that I can't quite put my finger on - maybe kiwi? A really good wine, and the style of chardonnay that I typically like. Well done, Jim!

View attachment 80669
Thank you! That is Mrs Mann’s favorite kit, the Luna Bianca. I drop half the fpac in the primary along with the saw dust and oak chips. Then, once it’s clear, I’ll add the other half of the fpac. It usually stays a little below 1.000 after adding the fpac. I let it sit for six months, bottle and shelf it a while. Never disappoints.

I know what you mean about the flavors - there’s that something you just can’t put your finge on. I get the green apple and citrus. I label the rest of it as “spicy.” Not sure what. Maybe nutmeg or some other brown baking spice.

Boatboy24

No longer a newbie, but still clueless.
Reaction score
Thank you! That is Mrs Mann’s favorite kit, the Luna Bianca. I drop half the fpac in the primary along with the saw dust and oak chips. Then, once it’s clear, I’ll add the other half of the fpac. It usually stays a little below 1.000 after adding the fpac. I let it sit for six months, bottle and shelf it a while. Never disappoints.

I know what you mean about the flavors - there’s that something you just can’t put your finge on. I get the green apple and citrus. I label the rest of it as “spicy.” Not sure what. Maybe nutmeg or some other brown baking spice.
That's a pretty nice kit wine. Is the Luna Bianca really a CA/AUS chardonnay? Don't know why, but I thought it was a blend of a few varietals.

jgmann67

Rennaisance Man
Reaction score
That's a pretty nice kit wine. Is the Luna Bianca really a CA/AUS chardonnay? Don't know why, but I thought it was a blend of a few varietals.
You may be right. I was going off of this description from WE:

Winexpert’s biggest, boldest white wine ever. In the spirit of the great full-bodied Chardonnays of California and Australia, Luna Bianca is lush, golden and rich. Dense, luscious, buttery aromas dance up from the glass. Flavors of tropical fruits blend with the vanilla-oak backing.

mainshipfred

WMT Supporter
Reaction score
As you can tell it was pizza night and I paired it with @Boatboy24 Jim's 2019 Touriga. Nice nose of sweet cherries but I could never get the mid palate. Could have been strawberry, maybe cantaloupe or watermelon I just don't know but it was pleasant nonetheless. The finish was a nice long medium burn. I've been blending my Touriga with Temparnillo but I may have to try adding some Petite Sirah next time.

Attachments

Boatboy24

Reaction score
As you can tell it was pizza night and I paired it with @Boatboy24 Jim's 2019 Touriga. Nice nose of sweet cherries but I could never get the mid palate. Could have been strawberry, maybe cantaloupe or watermelon I just don't know but it was pleasant nonetheless. The finish was a nice long medium burn. I've been blending my Touriga with Temparnillo but I may have to try adding some Petite Sirah next time.
Thanks Fred. That was a field blend - 5 lugs of Touriga and 1 Tempranillo. Pizza here tonight - I was going to open a commercial Italian blend, but now you've got me thinking... 🤔

mainshipfred

WMT Supporter
Reaction score
Thanks Fred. That was a field blend - 5 lugs of Touriga and 1 Tempranillo. Pizza here tonight - I was going to open a commercial Italian blend, but now you've got me thinking... 🤔
For some reason I thought you used PS. It does go great with pizza. You'll have to let me know what that mid palate is.

Boatboy24

Reaction score
For some reason I thought you used PS. It does go great with pizza. You'll have to let me know what that mid palate is.
I use PS in a ton of my wines, but Tempranillo just felt better on this one. Probably because I'd had your Touriga/Tempranillo blends and that seems to work well.