Oh Dear, out of sugar

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Knock on wood, Sarah. I buy the sugar at Sams sometimes too, but buy in the 10 lb sack. Lots of times for 5 gal I will need close to 10 lb. So for better or worse, the whole bag gets used. So I am lazy, means you can skip a step weighing. Usually won't effect the s.g. a lot higher or lower too much. I do look up how much sugar is need on ferm calc, tho. If it needs 8 lb or so, I just leave about a fifth of the sugar in the bag and check the s. g. after adding. Usually close enough to what I want and don't have to dig the scale out. Arne.

I buy my sugar at SAMS club 25lbs at a time I never run out!!

What has me laughing so hard right now, is that I buy the 25lb bag of sugar simply for everyday use. Coffee, cool-aid, etc. Thats at least a once a month purchase if not sooner. I just buy several for wine making. Sugar dont last long around here.:slp

***And WOW..I just took a look at the pics from the mishap, it almost had me crying for her. I can see myself in that position, laying in the floor lapping up the wine along with my tears. How is she coming along now? Hopefully shes back up and running stronger than ever. And just an FYI for those interested, Amazon has the 6 gal carboys for $30 back in stock...just ordered a few more myself. I believe im as addicted to that deal as I am making wine. haha

Last edited:
I buy sugar in 10 pound bags because its easier to handle and I don't have a large bag open half filled. The biggest reason though is if you look at the price per pound at Sams there is no real break for buying a large bag.

Exactly, Steve. I am paying much more attention now that I am poor (retired) and I have seen examples in Sam's (and it was either sugar or flour) where two ten-pound bags of the item (same brand) cost less that 80% of the 25 lb bag. That was a true no brainer; less cost and easier to handle.

Back