RJ Spagnols Not much bubbling?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

edrw

Junior
Reaction score
I'm using Orchard Breezin' Mist Wine Kit (Blackberry Merlot) and it doesn't seem to be bubbling much. There is no cap like there is when I make it from scratch and I wondered if this is normal with kits. The S.G after the initial ingrediants was 1.06 like the instructions called for and after one week it's 1.012, so I'm assuming it's doing OK, but wanted to check with the experts. Also, the instructions don't mention anything about stirring it during primary fermentation and I wanted to follow them to the letter. Is that right or was it an omission?

Thanks for any advice,

Ed

Don't worry about not having a cap. I'm assuming your concentrate was just juice, no skins or anything like that. There's not solids so it won't form a cap.
Did you stir it well before adding the yeast? Each kit is going to behave differently, especially when you add in factors like the weather and temp in the wine making area. If it will make you feel better, you can give it a stir. I don't think that will hurt it any.
What type of bubbles do you have? Does it maybe sound like carbonation in soda?

Thats right, no expert here, but according to your sg things are going fine. I don't stir the kits like I do scratch wines, works fine, don't think they build the gas to the extent scratch does, and theres no fruit to punch down.

It's not bubbling enough to sound like carbonation, it's more like a few small bubbles sitting on the top. I did stir it before I added the yeast and sprinkled the yeast on top without stirring. Does the the S.G. I gave does indicate it working as it should?

I would say you are right on target. That's a good drop for that kit in a week. The yeast they use for that one doesn't look vigorous, but it's doing it's job. I guess they are like a dignified little lady, hiding their gas emmissions instead of being a big burly burgundy expelling copious amounts of gas. Keep following the directions and you can't go wrong.

Appleman! What a great way to say it all!
smiley36.gif

Just an update to my previous posts. The wine has been at S.G 1.012 for 5 days now and the kit says to wait till it reaches .98. I don't believe it's going to make it, since it hasn't budged, and there hasn't been a single bubble in about the same time frame.
Edited by: edrw

What is the temp of the wine and have you adjusted for this with the
hydrometer, I now it wont be adjusted that much but might bring it a
little closer to where you are supposed to be.

Temp is 75.6, which is about where it was when I started. Adding .002 to compensate for temperature on each reading I guess still means it has stopped fermenting. Of course I'm still new at this having only done 4 batches before this one. They were all done from scratch and came out pretty good. I don't know how to tell if this batch is going to make it, or if there is some way to save it.

Just because it did not go all the way down does not mean it will be
bad, I've had a few that did not make it all the way down and speaking
of that my Symphony that I just filtered and is bulk aging is a little
higher than what they say. Better for me seeing as I tend to like a
sweeter wine. WAs your starting SG a little high or on the money. Dont
fret, it will be fine.

My beginning S.G. was 1.06, right on the mark. Since the S.G. hasn't moved in several days I guess it can be racked into the secondary fermenter. I'm also guessing there won't be much activity in the airlock. If the airlock doesn't rise is the wine still doing its thing?

Thanks for the help too.

If it is still in the primary, don't assume it won't go down.The 1.012 is about right for most wines to go into a secondary. During the racking process, you will get some air to the wine and stir the yeast up. This is usually plenty to get the fermentation going. It should ferment to completion in due time. Also it is possible if you have it in the primary bucket with the lid and air lock on- that the seal is not complete around the rubber grommet. This is a common problem. Without a good seal, you assume it isn't working. Go ahead and rack it to secondary and see what happens. Just keep following the directions.

Latest posts

Back