Norcal/Socal

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hello my name is David. I'm 26 but grew up in the wine industry and have made wine for my dad for 7 years. We made wine in a very primitive fashion with native for primary and mlf with great success

I have also worked harvest and or in the vineyards at numerous wineries including Screaming Eagle, Acorn, Martinelli, Epoch Estate and currently at

Newport Winery in Newport Beach where I oversee the vineyards. This Vineyard is a total mess and has more problems then any other vineyard do to numerous problems such as incorrect pruning, canopy stress from leaving all Spurs, water stress and much more.

I aspire to be a great wine maker but am completely focused at ressurecting this vineyard. Too be honest I'm much more versed with the wine making side and have a lot of questions for all the experts on the vineyard side. I'm open to learn and hopefully my questions aren't too silly.

Here is an article on me for you guys can get a better background on my style and where I have worked. This is when I won best young wine maker when I was 21. About 6 years ago.

http://m.napavalleyregister.com/lifestyles/food-and-cooking/wine/young-st-helena-winemaker-wise-beyond-years/article_02f3fab8-bc6d-11df-ab09-001cc4c03286.html?mobile_touch=true

Thats my intro. Look forward to getting to know you all. Cheers

Last edited by a moderator:
Welcome! Wow, you have some nice winemaking DNA. Why are you wasting your talents trying to resurrect an (at best) crappy vineyard in NewPort Beach…...

Get thee back North young man and pick a side. Winery or Vineyard which ever makes you happier at the end of the day!

Hey Ibglowin

Thanks for the welcome. You might be right, but over seeing vineyard and be responsible from everything from spray program, pruning, watering, and restoration is going to give me unbelievable experience

So I think I'm going to give it my all even thoe I'm getting paid peanuts compare to when I was in nor cal. It's a challenge.

Too be honest the reason I don't mind Is I moved to so cal to work on myself and improve other aspects of my life such as fitness, meditation, blogging, ect. I was willing to take a break from the wine industry for awhile but was lucky to find out they had some wineries in my area and then get a job.

And your right about wine making being in my DNA on my dads Italian side we have a deep history. The funny thing which we didn't know until a few years ago is on my moms side in France her family owns one of the largest sweet red wine wineries. So wine is on both sides of the family. Even thoe sweet wine is generally not my thing it's still cool.

Very cool, love to follow your story, as it develops with the project vineyard. I agree with the learn and experience all you can now, worry about $ later. It will pay back many times over.

Welcome!

Just a home maker of kit and fruit wines here but enjoy reading about all aspects of making wine.

Welcome to the forum. We have a few members on this forum who really know their stuff about vines, but the number is few. You might want to consider picking up a pro level book on this and perhaps ask questions when you want discussion.

David welcome aboard. I love the harvest hands in the picture. I you have any tips on getting those grape stains off your hands (besides time), please share.

Latest posts

Back