Aaron in Sierra foothills

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AaronSC

Reaction score
Hi,
I'm new to this site. I moved to Sutter Creek (in Amador county) a few months ago and decided to start making wine again. I had lived in central New York and made wine from Finger Lakes grapes from 1995 to 2010, when I moved to San Jose for work. Some years I made over 1000 bottles, so I was really into it. In SJ I couldn't make any wine due to living circumstances.

Now that I'm out here I have lots of space (a big garage) and 40 acres. I plan to plant some grapes in the spring, about 1/2 acre. There are currently many young olive trees on the property, which I may sell if there are any buyers.

So, I wanted to make wine this year and I asked around at some vineyards and got lucky since a lot of buyers have apparently backed out due to COVID. I live down the road from a great winery (Shake Ridge Ranch/Yorba) and they were willing to sell some of their grapes to me (I'm also a wine club member and love their wines). I'm getting 400lbs each of Zinfandel, Mourvdre, Barbera, Viognier and Tempranillo, likely soon (the smoke is causing the grape ripening to slow since it's blocking the sun, otherwise things might be different and I could already have some grapes.

I also found a source for some other varietals in El Dorado, so I'm getting 400lbs each of Malbec and Cab. Franc from Slate Creek Farms and 400lbs each of Grenache Blanc and Muscat (of Alexandria, I think, given that it's expected to come ripe in October). Looks like I'm going to have my hands full soon with about 200 gallons of wine, give or take...

I'll keep posting updates if people are interested -should be an adventure!

-Aaron

Back