No Fermentation after 48 hours

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I wont Buddy. I hope I can help someone else. I have made anew thread to continue my thoughts.

Troy

Yesterday I opened a Cranberry I bottled in '06. Hmm even better.

Do a search for Cranberries and benzoate with Google.

Indeed ocean spray does not add any benzoate, they do not need to
as cranberries are full of them.....
It is a natural ingredient in cranberries.

So make a really large yeast starter. Maybe that helps.

There is a trick in which first bakers yeast is added, and next when these die off wine yeast is added.
That way the benzoate is consumed by the bakers yeast and the wine yeast gets a chance.

Do not have the details at hand. It was at Jack Kellers weblog in 2007.

Luc

Luc, are you referring to the April 24th, 2007 entry?

I do not have it at hand, but do a search on his log. Or read his log it is fun anyway !!!

I believe, if you read this thread carefully, Troy just did wahat Jack also did. Only Troy did not add bakers yeast which consumed the benzoate and died so the next batch could get going, tro did it with two yeast starters. But basically the same.

Luc

I think that was it. I'm having some trouble getting a cranberry melomel to start and was scouring the forum for info. I'm into starter 3 now, so maybe it'll take off. Thanks for the help.

Some commercial juices claim to be "100% Juice" however other ingredients are often added. If "other ingredients" are added, it can't possibly be 100%. Most juices like Ocean Spray, Northland, etc have Potassium Sorbate and often Potassium Metabisulphite. If preservatives are not used, shelf life would be extremely short.

Sulphites and sorbates will both hinder fermentation. I would recommend dumping the batch and start over with preservative free juice.

Several years back, I tried to make apple cider and it did not ferment even after I dumped 2 quarts of active slurry. The "100% apple cider", obtained from a local farmers market, contained potassium sorbate.

Jersey,
Welcome..
Where about in Jersey are you? Tell us about your winemaking...

Thanks Tom. I'm in central NJ (South Brunswick) and have been making wine from grapes (and beer) for the past 13 years. It's a very cool hobby.

Have you made any Chilean wines? They are comming in around April/May in S. Jersey

Yes, I like South American wines. In fact, I'm bottling a Chilean Carménère and Malbec tomorrow. I have to make room for the upcoming spring season.

Back