Newbie in Nova Scotia

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shel

Newbie!
Reaction score
Hi everyone! Great site, lots of info on here, could get lost for days reading everyhting!

Just started into winemaking this past November, here's what I've made so far (chronologically):

Spagnols Grand Cru Verdicchio
Spagnols GC International Collection California Syrah
Spagnols GC Johannisberg Riesling
Spagnols Heritage Estate Merlot (yeah, yeah, I know, but it was a gift!)

Havings lots of fun making it...even more so drinking it, lol!

Welcome to a great forum, Shel. Looks like you're off to a good start and you're right, drinking it is one of the more fun tasks!!.
Do you get your kits at Water n Wine in New Glasgow by any chance? I hear they're doing FOP and was wondering how it's working out for them. The province seems to be reluctant to take them to task - probably afraid they'll lose this time!!

Welcome Shel, glad to have you aboard! Feel free to ask anything you want here, its why we are here!

Welcome to the forum, Shel. As you've seen, you can learn a lot here.

Welcome to a great forum, Shel. Looks like you're off to a good start and you're right, drinking it is one of the more fun tasks!!.
Do you get your kits at Water n Wine in New Glasgow by any chance? I hear they're doing FOP and was wondering how it's working out for them. The province seems to be reluctant to take them to task - probably afraid they'll lose this time!!

Is ferment on premises ( you brew) not allowed in N.S.?

I thought you could do that anywhere in Canada, though my local guy says inspectors are in regularly to make sure there are paid customer bills for all the stuff he has going in the shop. He also says he cannot bulk age for more than 3 months on premises, as that is not allowed.

Some would prefer to leave those big reds a little longer before they bottle and go.

Also not possible to drink in a moment of weakness, when it is still at the you brew.

No, not permitted in NS. A few brewshops are doing it - the WineKitz ones and a few others, I believe and there is active lobbying to have it legalized but the NS Liquor Corp has a stranglehold on all liquor sales in the province and don't want give up any control. Our liquor laws are very archaic. I think a couple of other provinces don't allow them either.

Thanks for the welcome! Yes, that's where I buy my kits, and before I started making the kits at home in Nov, we used the FOP there...I'm a bit out of the loop on how they're doing against the province right now, been super-busy and haven't been following it all...

Latest posts

Back