RJ Spagnols Newbie Clearing Question

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Melissa

Reaction score
I have a batch of CC Intl Syrah clearing right now and am wondering exactly when to bottle. I know that the wine can stay in the carboy for a long time, but I don't plan on bulk aging because I would like to have the carboy to start another kit! :)

It has been clearing for about 3 weeks now. I racked at 10 days and then again a week later (feb 4th) thinking I was getting ready to bottle, but there was still some sediment and I want to make sure the wine is very clear so I left it in the carboy and it is still dropping sediment. Just a mucky dusting at the bottom of the carboy. The wine above looks clear and nice, but if it is still mucky at the bottom how do I know when it's really done clearing? Will there be a point when I rack that it won't drop anything at all? Is that what I'm waiting for? I'm thinking that there's no way I can rack without a filter and not pull at least a little bit of the stuf off the bottom so how could it ever be 100% clear? What to do...besides wait...which I am getting better at :)

Thanks for your help!

Melissa, I have never made this kit. However, wine continues to clear for a long time. Even some commercial wines will have sediment in them as they age. I think the longer you can wait, the clearer your wine will be. You can help it along by making sure your temperature is in the low to mid 70s and by making sure you have degassed the wine completely.

Another thing to do is buy another carboy or two. That will help the patience factor.
smiley1.gif

I have asked a couple of sediment question here on the forum and I beleive it was Wade that said even after clearing the wine it will continue to drop sediment. I can attest to that. I had a Austrilaina Shiraz that had been racked twice and bulk aging for 4 months. Last week racked it again ran it thrugh my filter, 5 micron,and you would not belive the sediment it collected.
Also this weekend we opened aWE Selection Cab, it had been racked 3 times over 4 months, bottled it in Sept. Opened a bottle this weekend and very small amount of sediment in the bottle. I did not filter this one.

Melissa- you have two choices.
1) Rack it again in a week or so. The black end of the racking cane will keep it out of the sediment. Just tilt the carboy slightly(put something about an inch high under it. That way you can get all the clear wine and not lose any. Then bottle- and you will probably get just a tiny dusting in the bottles- no big deal

2)Choice two- more preferred. Let it sit in the carboy and rack another time or two before bottling. Of course to do this you will need to go buy carboy number two! (Don't worry, I see a few mmore in your future as you get deeper into this).

I guess my Syrah could use a friend! Another full carboy (or cargirl) buddy to hang out with. I knew I was going to be seeing a lot of George. :)
How long can I leave this in the carboy before I need to add the 1/4 tsp k-met? Am I better off doing that sooner (now) or later (just before bottling)

Thanks for the super quick replies!

If you already added the K-Meta that came with the kit (and you should have by now if your in the clearing and fining stage) You are good to go for ~ 3 months. If you can (hopefully) wait 3 months from when you added the first round of K-meta, then add your 1/4 tsp at 90 days then bottle immediately after that.

If you are not testing for levels... The general rule of thumb is 1/4 tsp k-meta every 3 months for a 5-6 gallon batch. Always better if you can test. But you should be OK.

Melissa, your wine sounds wonderful. Sounds like you have done a great job!!
smiley4.gif
I agree with Appleman, another carboy would never go lonely!!
smiley36.gif
Let it bulk age as long as you can, get a wedge or telephone book or something to tilt your carboy to get all that great wine out. You may get a little dusting as Appleman stated, but your wine will not suffer.
So, what may possibly go in the new carboy friend????????
smiley2.gif

Well, I would love to start another red that needs a little aging. My plan is to get a couple of reds bottled and then make a couple of breezin kits for the summer. Hopefully they will hold us over for a bit and keep us out of our reds so that they can get nice and cozy in their bottles and taste extra yum!

Any suggestions on reds for my carboy buddy? My hubbyand I both likePinot Noir and Zinfandel.

Try the MM Renaissance Chilean Pinot Noir. Mines a year old and very good. Nice cherry fruit, a little funky (like a good Pinot should be) buy not over the top. One of the best wines I've made when it come to showing varietal character.

Good to hear this one turned out well as its my next kit to start probably this week!
smiley17.gif

RParker said:
Try the MM Renaissance Chilean Pinot Noir. Mines a year old and very good. Nice cherry fruit, a little funky (like a good Pinot should be) buy not over the top. One of the best wines I've made when it come to showing varietal character.

Just buy more carboys! I am up to 7 now and I think I need one more. The kits turn out so good that my wife has not problem with making more.

I'm up to 4 glass carboys two better bottles and picking up another glass carboy in a week or so

I just picked up a new (third) glass 6-gal today. And some smaller muslin bags for my oaking... tired of the oak shavings and chips stopping up my hoses!!!

I finally had my carboys neutered after they were up to 10. I am safe now.

xanxer82 said:
I'm up to 4 glass carboys two better bottles and picking up another glass carboy in a week or so

Back