Newbie apple wine question

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Masta, thanks for the chart. I can't believe I have lived all these 59 years and I'm just now discovering that I need a "Bung Size Chart" - how have I survived? Then again, I've learned a lot from you guys in the last couple of weeks !!

We bought a carboy at a garage sale that had a smaller bung in it....got it out with no problems using a little hook...

We use only the Universal Bungs...in the Online Fine Vine Wines catalog, item #5148 #5149 #5150 and #5151....

http://www.finevinewines.com/Home-Wine-Making-Equipment-Stoppers.asp
[Copy and Paste...sorry]

Don't think you could push them in if you wanted to...Check them out!!!Edited by: Northern Winos

Day 13, I racked the apple wine to a clean Gal Jug. Started with a SG at 1.100 and now holding steady at .993. Guess I will just let it hang out for a few months and let it start clearing.

<?:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" />
20061109_104949_a6.jpg

Update.
Today is day 30. The apple wine is super clear right now. The SG is holding steady. I think I will rack it again today (2ed racking). I might stabilize it and back sweeten also, but not sure if I want to do it now or wait another few weeks.
20061127_070935_d30.JPG

Kuta, Polish, Thanks I was surprised at how fast it cleared. After reading some sites I was thinking it would be more like 40 weeks.
<?:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" />
Northern, Yep…… It did it all by its self. I just followed the directions. Hope I don’t mess it up when I add the apple concentrate.
smiley1.gif

Mine would not clear up on its own, but then again I used mulling
spices, cinnamon sticks, and chopped raisins so one of those caused a
problem. Probably the mulling spices. It came out terrible at first but
after a little while in the bottle its improving incredibly!

Do you ever oak your apple wines????I just started a Crabapple/Apple wine and am wondering what oak would do to the flavor????

Northern, this is my first try at wine making so I am not sure about oak
smiley6.gif
. Others I am sure know more.

I have to start another apple wine. I wasnt anticipating doing it again
after my last apple wine. At bottling it was the worst wine I have ever
tasted. All of the wines I have made have been good at bottling and
only improve with time. The spiced apple was another story. It was so
horrible at bottling I thought of dumping it down the drain. It has
been in bottles now for about a month and we opened one the other day
and its already pretty good to my amazement. I cant believe in this
short of time this wine has improved drastically.Just goes to show you
what aging can do.

Wade, can you describe the taste you encountered at bottling? I am just wounding as to what I might think is kind of ok might be what someone else calls HORRIBLE. I would hate to give a friend a bad wine.

I dont know if I can describe it but youll know if it tasted like mine.
I spit it out on contact. It didnt even taste anything like apple or
even wine for that matter. I sweetened it and that didnt even help so I
just bottled it. My wife is the one that opened one the other day and I
asked her what she was drinking and she said the Apple and I said WHAT,
your drinking that!

Cajun I dont think oak would do much for an apple wine. Now you take a good Muscadine and give it some Medium Toast French Oak and Mmmmmmmm!!!

Hello all!
OK, so I back sweetened my apple wine and put ½ teaspoon Potassium Sorbate and one crushed campden tablet in two days ago. I notice it still gives off a bubble about every 45 minutes. Should I add more Sorbate and /or campden?

This is probably gas. I would degass it more. If this is a gallon
batch, to find out, sanitize your palm, put it over the top of carboy
and shake. If when you let your palm off you get a puff of air, you
need to degass more.

A better method cajun is to sanitize the lips, place the opening of thecarboy between them, tilt the jug up quickly and.........
smiley36.gif
Using the same method gave for testing is also a good way to degass a gallon batch

Latest posts

Back