New Year's Eve

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rocky

Chronologically Gifted Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
What is everyone doing for New Year's Eve?

We are having our "Gourmet Club" over for the evening. I hasten to point out that we are Gourmets in name only, more accurately a group of people who like to eat and drink wine (except for Bob who we cannot wean from beer). We are having an old fashioned traditional meal: Italian Wedding Soup, Roast Beef with Yorkshire Pudding, Green Beans Almondine, Roasted Sweet Potatoes and Waldorf Salad. One couple is bringing appetizers, one the bread and one the dessert.

As all of us are in our late 60's and early 70's, the enthusiasm for partying has long since departed. We will play "Left, Right and Center" and try to stay awake until Midnight for a Champagne toast to 2013. No dancing with lampshades on our heads but the up side is a clear head to watch the great football games on New Year's Day.

Bev and I wish you all a very Happy, Healthy and Prosperous New Year!

Happy New Year to you and Bev, Rocky! And to everyone else on WMT!

We will probably be in bed before midnight! :)

happy new year rocky, bev, julie, and all the WMT family....going to a party at the gf's aunt and uncle's house....will be plenty of beer and spirits, and of course i know her aunt would be disappointed if i didn't bring along some of my wines....most of the family is more of a beer swilling crowd, but a few of them will enjoy an ocassional glass of wine...lol...i will also be sitting there complaining about the state of our local "NFL" team, hopes for our beloved TIGERS, and b@#$ about the fact that we have no hockey, with the rest of guys, and watch as some folks do kara-jokey....lol....

Happy New Year everyone! I'm just finishing up the boil on a Belgian Black Ale. Then off to play with the kids and light off some more model rockets! Tonight: nice home cooked meal, good wine and kids to bed early, then some quality time with the wife over a movie. We never have time to do that, it seems.

My wife and mother in law seem to be the family's desainted babysitter. So we will probably just sit at home, put the little ones to bed, watch the ball drop and maybe empty one bottle of wine.

Happy New Year everyone!

Rocky makes me wish we lived closer. Just the 2 of us and maybe our daughter tomorrow - she lives 2 hours away.

We have no family here, they are all in MI and IN except our oldest daughter.

We are racking muscadine for the 2nd time today. Then 3 movies we will rent.

Steak and salmon on the grill for dinner. Tomorrow a pork roast cooked on the rotisserie on the grill. Rib roast cooked the same way for Christmas dinner. mmm good!

I will make ramaki, crab dip for later tonight for the 2 of us.

I have another quart jar of peach wine in the fridge from racking yesterday. About an inch of lees. I ma most excited about drinking that peach wine tonight!

This evening I am going with my fiance to a friends wedding. The wedding hall is open from 6PM-2AM and there will be a steak and lobster tail dinner accompanied by all the free booze you can drink :d , New Years Day is not going to be as much fun :s

I don't really have a lot planned since the world didn't end. :D

Just enjoying the win over the cowboys last night, that's enough to celebrate the new year with.

:hny2

I'm working my scheduled 24 hour shift at the fire station. No parties here! Hey, someone has to protect all you revelers from possible incineration and physical debilitation!

Don't dial 911! I'm trying to sleep!!! :sl

Happy New Year everyone!!!! Barb and I will most likely spend a nice quiet evening together, maybe share a bottle of wine........Well untill 9-930 when barb will decide to watch tv with her eyes closed LOL !!!

Old habits are hard to break

BOB

I'm working my scheduled 24 hour shift at the fire station. No parties here! Hey, someone has to protect all you revelers from possible incineration and physical debilitation!

Don't dial 911! I'm trying to sleep!!! :sl
Are you a professional firefighter/emt? My future son-on-law is one and I believe he does 48 hours on. Forturnately this year he did not have to work on Christmas eve nor day which I was very happy to hear.

We have been hanging out with SWMBO's parents and some of their good friends since last Thursday in the "Outer Banks", NC. Man I feel like Eddie Murphy in the movie "Trading Places" when he said "no I believe I can hang out which you guys for awhile......" I suspect this is what it feels like to be a "1%er"....... :)

Nice digs if you know what I mean. We have been walking the beach looking for sea glass, putting puzzles together, playing cards, dominoes, watching football, and even a little Karaoke some nights....... Tonight we have a bunch of appetizers and drinks before dinner followed by a main course of Alaskan King Crab with all the trimmings. This stuff is HUGE. Never seen King Crab legs/claws this big. Flown in special from Seattle by the owner of the house we are staying at......

Back to reality sadly on Wednesday....... :(

IMG_1276.jpg

IMG_1307.jpg

IMG_1303.jpg

Living in Eastern NC since we moved from MI in 2000, one or first travels here were to the Outer Banks. Gorgeous country indeed!

Are you a professional firefighter/emt? My future son-on-law is one and I believe he does 48 hours on. Forturnately this year he did not have to work on Christmas eve nor day which I was very happy to hear.

Yes, Julie, thanks for asking. I'm in my 26th year as a professional firefighter/paramedic. I work a 24 hour shift, then 48 hours off. This year, I was scheduled to work both Christmas Day and New Years Eve. Lucky me!

Six more years and I'm retiring! :fsh

We have been hanging out with SWMBO's parents and some of their good friends since last Thursday in the "Outer Banks", NC. Man I feel like Eddie Murphy in the movie "Trading Places" when he said "no I believe I can hang out which you guys for awhile......" I suspect this is what it feels like to be a "1%er"....... :)

Nice digs if you know what I mean. We have been walking the beach looking for sea glass, putting puzzles together, playing cards, dominoes, watching football, and even a little Karaoke some nights....... Tonight we have a bunch of appetizers and drinks before dinner followed by a main course of Alaskan King Crab with all the trimmings. This stuff is HUGE. Never seen King Crab legs/claws this big. Flown in special from Seattle by the owner of the house we are staying at......

Back to reality sadly on Wednesday....... :(

The OBs are a great place, Mike. We used to go there many years ago when you had to bring your own wine to the restaurants! We had a place right on the ocean and we could walk a mile without seeing anyone or anything except the sand crabs. We were a couple miles south of a large hotel on the beach, seems like it was a Sheraton. This was in the 70's and I am sure it has changed a lot since then.

Back