New to winemaking - have 3 kits going...

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

roblloyd

Reaction score
I got a WineExpert Special Selection Port kit for xmas along with the other equipment needed. So that is going along well.
I got the bug and now have a WE muller-thurgau in the clearing stage and a FC Collection Grenache almost done with the 2nd fermentation stage.
On board I have a Cru Cabernet Franc Icewine (gifts for next winter) and a Wine Expert Selection Limited Edition shiraz/voigner.

I hope those are all good choices! Got a nice deal on the Grenache and icewine kits.

I'd like to make a Pinot Noir next. If price wasn't a concern what should I do? Kit (which one?) or from scratch?
Also heard good things about amorone, so same questions there - kit or scratch?
skeeter pee will also be on the list. Is that flat or carbonated?

I have looked at all my LHBS to see what they offer. One suggested the FC Collection Pinot was excellent and always sells out quickly.

I guess this turned into a which is better kit or scratch thread.

I need more carboys! but the wife might think I'm going crazy.
Rob

Join the club Rob.. My wife knows I am crazy... As far as what to do it really depends on what you like. Some like and do mostly kits and some don't do any kits at all. My suggestion is if you want to tray out a wine.. go out and buy a bottle of comercial wine of that type first and see if you like it then if you do get a kit. General rule for kits is you get what you pay for.. Just my opinion I mix I do some kits and some from scratch it depends on the type of wine.

A pinot is such a nice wine. If you can afford it, always make a premium kit. (IMO)

Welcome to the party. The first thing though you have to come clean and tell us you got an anonymous call about this forum. I think Wade is recruiting hard up there while everyone is snowed in an has nothing else to do.

Wade are you offering up bottles of your Orange Chocolate port to every new member from CT today?

JoinNow.png

A pinot is such a nice wine. If you can afford it, always make a premium kit. (IMO)

I believe all the kits I have are premium. What's the best Pinot kit? Yes its subjective but.....
Even if a kit is $200 that's still only $6 per bottle. Far cheaper than the stores. How does that relate to a bottle in the store? Is that a $15 or $30 bottle?

Rob

Dang I knew it!!

Wade membership is still counted by numbers in each state and not member to population ratio. PA still rules!

He said CT people make better wine than those PAers do. I will give you my address if you want to prove him wrong :)

No, was reffering to Redneck as he stated he wants to come here to Ct. and be on our side. You can come over on Thursday if you want. I prefer RJS Winery Series or RJS En Primeur myself but Id be willing to bet that the Mosti Mondaile Meglioi and Masters kits may be better, Ive only had one of these which was a Meg. Barolo and it was just insanely good. Best wine Ive ever had!

If 2 inches is all you have on your roof, That is the thaw. The snow here? Shoveled over a foot 3 times this year from the roof. The snowblower banks along the driveway were taller than my 2000 blazer. Still above the windows. We normally still have snow on into late april early may. Have gone camping last weekend of april (opener of trout and walleye) and could not open the camper door due to the ice holding it.:sn

Last edited:
I believe all the kits I have are premium. What's the best Pinot kit? Yes its subjective but.....
Even if a kit is $200 that's still only $6 per bottle. Far cheaper than the stores. How does that relate to a bottle in the store? Is that a $15 or $30 bottle?

Rob
I think you and I agree.

I think that with care and a couple of years aging, some of the premium kits could easily be compared with a $18 to $25 bottle of commercial.

If that was me that typed 2" I meant 2'. I now have just under 4' of snow in my yard and thats not where the snowblower is blowing snow!!!!!!!! Luckily we didnt get the ice like they said we were going to get but I guess Ohio did and I feel for anyone there!!!!!!! Roof rakes are the big rage right ow but in a little while it will be sump pumps for everones basements.

Back