Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

skinnydipper

Reaction score
I've been lurking long enough to read almost every post, decided to join in on the action.

Haven't made a wine yet, but looking forward to getting started after Thanksgiving. I'll probably continue lurking until I'm ready for my first attempt, then will bug the heck out of all of you!

Welcome Skinnydipper.
smiley4.gif

Welcome skinny d...Hope you enjoy your reading and when the time comes hope you share your wine-ing experiences with us.

Dang the wine making experiences...I wanna hear about the skinny dipping experiences
smiley36.gif

Welcom to the forum

Welcome skinnydipper and dont mind Waldo, he;s our resident comedian! Glad you joined us and hope all your wine making experiences are grand.

Hi skinnydipper,

Good to have you here. We always ask for pictures here
smiley2.gif
so post away!!!!

Welcome............Ramona

Welcome to the forums. What type of wines you thinking about making, kits or from fresh fruits and stuff? Hope you enjoy it here and always feel free to ask questions no matter how trivial they seem. Look forward to reading your posts.

I'm too shy to post skinny-dipping pictures.
smiley9.gif

My first batch will be pumpkin. I've been reading up on different recipes, and think I will go with Jack Keller's.<?:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" />

I have also been studying up on kit wines. I am a hobby-gourmet chef, and have spent a great deal of time in wine pairing research, so it's hard for me to determine which kit to start with. I prefer full-bodied reds because they are typically easy to pair with foods that have layered flavors.

My Bride prefers chardonnay from 2005. A buttery flavor was popular with Napa whites in 2005, but for whatever reason the popularity faded, later vintages are no longer buttery. So, I would like to attempt a buttery chardonnay. Any suggestions?

There are tons of options available for kits for both of those styles. I will start a new post for you under General Wine Questions and transfeer your question there so folks will be more likely to read it and respond.

Be careful with Jack Keller's recipes as they typically start off with a very high SG and in most people opinions including mine that is not good, it typically hides all the flavor of the fruit that should be the focal point of the wine not the abv. A good SG for starting a fruit wine is 1.085 so cutting down on the sugar listed and checking the gravity while making up the must is required.

Welcome to the forum skinnydipper. Be careful with this home winemaking. You WILL get hooked.

Eland

Welcome skinnydipper, there is alot of knowledge here so just ask pretty much anything.

Eland is right you WILL get hooked, and Wade is about the high sg. I just started a pear receipe from Jack's and beforepitching the yeast to proper leval, the sg was 1.110.

Thank you everyone for the warm welcomes. With Jack's recipes, do you make adjustments to lower the SG?

Did do adjustments to lower to the 1.085 level. Don't know if right or wrong just added a little water, seemed like the thing to do at the time.

Enjoy

Yes you do want to start off with about say 2/3 rds of the sugar, take a sg reading and adjust up with more sugar till you get a sg of around 1.085.

Latest posts

Back