Hi All! I'm Cody from SW Pennsylvania

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

clent724

Junior
Reaction score
My name is Cody and I live about an hour south of Pittsburgh near Brownsville Pennsylvania. I've been making wine about 8 years now. I've done fresh juice buckets until last fall when I made my first batch from grapes, a cab/syrah blend. Until just last week I've never checked acidity or ph, I was just buying the buckets and fermenting and they turned out ok. I want to step my game up and just invested in a ton of equipment and have been practicing testing TA & pH. It's such a blast making wine. Just a great hobby and rewarding at the end of the day also 😉.

I've read on this forum for a few years but just finally decided to join so I can ask for acidity advice on the cab/syrah. I will post that in the general winemaking section. Just wanted to introduce myself. Cheers🍷

Last edited:
Welcome Cody, I grow up in Clairton PA. Not sure it you are aware but All American Containers in Belle Vernon is close to you and a great source for bottles. Especially since you can pick them up. I get periodic emails where they are selling low stock bottles very cheap.
I have heard of them but was under the impression they only sold to businesses.

Belle Vernon is only 20 minutes from me. My town is actually East Millsboro but no one has ever heard of that (far in the country) so I say south of Pittsburgh in Brownsville.

Welcome Cody, I grow up in Clairton PA. Not sure it you are aware but All American Containers in Belle Vernon is close to you and a great source for bottles. Especially since you can pick them up. I get periodic emails where they are selling low stock bottles very cheap.
Manshipfred,

Do you still live in the area? I ask because on December 16th we are hosting a Feast of 7 Fishes & Wine Tasting at the Brownsville Sons of Italy. I am a trustee and we are always looking for more winemakers willing to share their creations. The food is out of this world. There's usually about 15 winemakers and around 200 attendees. Very good time.

Manshipfred,

Do you still live in the area? I ask because on December 16th we are hosting a Feast of 7 Fishes & Wine Tasting at the Brownsville Sons of Italy. I am a trustee and we are always looking for more winemakers willing to share their creations. The food is out of this world. There's usually about 15 winemakers and around 200 attendees. Very good time.
I don't but still have family there. It's too early for me to commit though it sounds appealing. If I'm not able to attend I could at least ship a few bottles to you. The past few years the majority of my grapes come from local Virginia vineyards. The wines might have a slightly different flavor profile than you are used to.

Welcome Cody. We are in Westmoreland county (Greensburg/Irwin/Murrysville) and we started out on this site as a hobby winemaker and went commercial 9 years ago. Lots of good people and good info on this site.

My uncle lives south just outside Brownsville on the river.

Welcome Cody. We are in Westmoreland county (Greensburg/Irwin/Murrysville) and we started out on this site as a hobby winemaker and went commercial 9 years ago. Lots of good people and good info on this site.

My uncle lives south just outside Brownsville on the river.
It's a small world. There's a good chance I know your uncle or have heard the name. I've met so many people over the years with work and through the sons of Italy. As my wife says, I'm not scared to start a conversation with a stranger if they'll hold still and listen. 🤣

Actually this week I am working off of 982 in Latrobe. I own an excavating company and have been doing a foundation there for a couple of weeks now. What is the name of your winery? I'm sure I could find time an evening after work to stop by and sample a flight. 🤣

We're in central Westmoreland County. My wife's family is from Allison.

Another friend of ours buys bottles at American. Very good prices.

We'll be out of bottles next year. We plan to purchase there.

Where do you get your grapes?

Welcome to WMT! Lot of very helpful people here.

We're in central Westmoreland County. My wife's family is from Allison.

Another friend of ours buys bottles at American. Very good prices.

We'll be out of bottles next year. We plan to purchase there.

Where do you get your grapes?

Welcome to WMT! Lot of very helpful people here.
Allison is very close to where I am.

I get grapes from Mario at consumers in Pittsburgh. They are great to deal with. A longtime member of ours orders in bulk for the entire sons of Italy to get a little better deal.

When buying juice I like to get Regina juice from sunfresh. Tammy & Mike are great people as well. Regina juice seems to be a little better quality in my opinion.

Latest posts

Back