new guy

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pizz65

Reaction score
OK, wine peeps, I went and pushed my airlock into the hole on top of the bucket that my must is in and......
smiley19.gif
the black ring or what ever you call it fell into the must and I'm assuming it went to the bottom. Is this a problem?? should I fish it out????? HELP

Dry your tears!! Your gromet is safe where it is! Just leave it there for now. Let your wine ferment...you can lay a piece of plastic wrap over the little hole so things won't get in to your primary. When you rack your wine into a secondary, your gromet will be at the bottom ...probably smiling over the fun few days it's had in a big vat of wine!
smiley4.gif

Edited to add: You are not the first nor will you be the last to do it! You've joined the club!
smiley2.gif

Edited by: Joan

It's okay to start breathing now! Next time wet the end of your airlock and kinda twist it in.

Welcome to the forum! It's good to have you here!

now that I have the must going it says it takes 5-7 days to get to the right SG shold I check that eveyday or wait for day 5 and go from there?

I have not had this problem as my O-rings leaked right from the start and would not even let the airlock bubble so I re-drilled the lids to accommodate rubber bungs. This way works better for me as I can stick the gravity filter in the hole and then bottle from the spigot. The primary buckets were not purchased from George, probably why they leaked.

Hi Pizz,
I check my SG every day. But thats becouse I like playing with my wine toys. I have found on a few batches that they droped to 1.010 in just three days.

Indeed! Welcome to the club. I have done this more than once. Just leave it there and relax. It will be fine. Check the SG after 5 days to see where you are at. Remember to check at least once more a day later to confirm your reading with 2 days of reading being preferable. Now if you are like Tim and just like to play with your toys, by all means go ahead and check it everyday. It is your wine. It isn't necessary though.

Latest posts

Back