New guy from Ontario, Canada

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

onebarrel

Junior
Reaction score
Hi, My name is Alex and I hail from South Western Ontario...

I am about 2 hours from the Niagara wine region, just North of Lake Erie and South East of Lake Huron.

I have been brewing beer and making wine since 1990... I confess to do a lot more brewing than wine making.

I have been making wine from juice since the beginning but have graduated to grapes in the past 4 years.

Just thought I would start my posts by saying hello, hopefully this forum will improve my wine...

Cheers.

Welcome! Sounds like you might be providing more information than asking for it.

Welcome, sounds like your not to far from http://hipvineyard.com/hipvineyard/ who is a forum member here in whom Im very good friends with, at least i hope so!!! hehehe. He just went commercial about a month or so ago and has great wines and tons of valuable info for us! Nothing wrong with brewing beer at all as many including me do plenty of that also and we have a beer section also so check that out to!

Welcome, sounds like your not to far from http://hipvineyard.com/hipvineyard/ who is a forum member here in whom Im very good friends with, at least i hope so!!!
Wade:

FYI, according to Google Maps hipvineyard is about 5 hours from your place (Middlebury CT). It's about 8.5 hrs from new member onebarrel (London Ontario), and 7.5 hours from me. and just for the fun-of-it less than an hour-and-a-half from Montreal.

Steve

cpfan - I buy my grapes from LHBS... they are mostly from Cali... Lodi region - top quality product, but limited selection - guy that runs it is ex pat Portuguese.

I have tried Niagara grapes years ago but was a little disappointed (maybe a bad year?) but have been hearing good things as of late.

I mostly make Cab and Chardonay... last seasons white just got bottled - 12.6% and the Cab is a monster at 15% - second racking onto more oak... maybe bottle in another 4 months. Since these are the more expensive grapes I am about $2.30-2.15 a bottle without cork or shrinks... but its not about the $$ :D

Wade E - I am about 7 hours from that spot... passed close to there on a motorcycle trip 20 years ago... nice area. We have a nice macro climate on this side of the lake and there are several local Vinter's within short distance from my place... we have a cold climate and short season, but have a thriving local wine economy.

I forgot to add I also make mead, cider, and the occasional sake.

In fact I just racked 10 gals of cider tonight.

Ooops, I was thinking Lake Champlain! I know it was about 5.5 from my house as I drove there, in the pouring rain yet with the comoany truck and dug up 18 Black Currant bushes!

Welcome! you have come to the right place! Ask away there are lots of good people here that are waiting to help!

Latest posts

Back