New Gas Grill!

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
12+ year old Weber. On the 2nd igniter with original SS grates and "flavorizor bars". Still holding up but I mind getting new ones. Cast iron is supposed to be great to cook on as they retain heat better but they rust out so fast I'll stick with the SS.

Are todays Webers built like the old ones?

That looks like a great grill. I'll have to check it out. I don't use my side burner often but it's very handy for fish to keep the smell out of the house.

Haven't used an infrared burner but they look cool.

Are todays Webers built like the old ones?

A buddy of mine got a new one about a year ago his is the NG model with a quick connect to the house. It is built every bit as well as mine and pops. I gave it a pretty through inspection.

Kinda of a gimmick IMHO, sounds new and cool etc. Your still using propane to light a fire only your letting the fire heat up a piece of ceramic tile. Thus the flame never touches the meat and its all "indirect". You heat an object and let that object "irradiate heat" to cook the food. No flare ups like what you have with a direct flame. They are starting to sell "kits" to convert some recently made old school grills into a new fancy IR grill by placing the tiles over the old flame burners and adding metal heat diffusers on top of that. Not sure if that searing station on mine would be considered IR or not. I need to look closer at it to see if it has a piece of tile in it thats being heated or just a very tiny spread out flame.

Haven't used an infrared burner but they look cool.

But isn't that section hotter allowing the meat to seer. I like the idea of no flare up but as the meat drips your still getting the smoke coming back up flavoring the steak, right?

Definitely HOT, and yes when the meat drips you get smoke off the thing. Its really only big enough (mine anyways) for one steak at a time to sear. I suppose you could sear and then move over to the other side for a slower cook to finish off.

Back