WineXpert New...Enigma!!??

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just ran across this...new...coming out...anyone else heard of it??

"A full bodied red from California with intense aromas and flavours, a smooth round finish and styled after the popular California Apothic, this new wine should quickly become a favourite."

http://oceansidewineworks.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/06/Enigmasellsheet.pdf

Apothic Red was a good value wine a few years ago, now too much residual sugar

http://gallo.com/wine/United States/Brand Names/A-I/BrandNamesLanding.html

Noticed that too so I'm kinda wondering if that is not an up-scaled Diablo Rojo??

Not me - haven't seen it. But I noticed the compare to Apothic Red. As was mentioned, there is too much RS in Apothic Red (for my taste). I did have some "Apothic Dark" a few days ago. It is more robust than its cousin, with darker color, more robust tannin, and less RS than Apothic Red. I'm off topic, but recommend it.

No I didn't try this either . This is an other recycled product from Wine Kitz .

Enigma (California) Wine Making Kit by Winexpert
Enigma Wine Making Kit by Winexpert (Think Apothic Red) - The zing of Zinfandel, dark fruit of Syrah, bold flavors of Cabernet Sauvignon and suave sophistication of Merlot. Intense fruit aromas and notes of black cherry, coffee, chocolate and vanilla. Full bodied with a smooth, round finish. Food friendly, this wine pairs well with everything from pizza to pasta and is a great match for meats like ribs or chicken with sweet and sticky marinade. Sweetness: OFF-DRY | Body: FULL | Oak Intensity: NONE.

MYSTIC RED | CALIFORNIA
Another Wine Kitz exclusive! A captivating blend of
four distinct grapes, Zinfandel, Merlot, Syrah and
Cabernet Sauvignon, that reveals intense fruity
aromas on opening. This full bodied red offers rich
flavors of black cherry, mocha, spice and vanilla
and closes with a velvety, smooth finish. Includes
a Crushed Grape Pack for true, on-the-skins
fermentation.
BODY: HEAVY OAK: MEDIUM
SWEETNESS: OFF-DRY

The mystic red had a crushed grape pack and oak but the flavors are the same .

RJS is also coming out with something similar . (without the merlot )
Winemaker's Trio - Cellar Classic Winery Series
AVAILABLE SEPTEMBER
80026527 Cellar Classic Winery Series

Red
The Winemaker’s Trio is the perfect blend of Cabernet Sauvignon, Syrah and Zinfandel fermented on GenuWine Winery Crushed Grape Skins. This new world style red has a nicely integrated balance of tannins and acidity. It features an inviting blend of vanilla, red berries, and black cherry on the nose and it combines the sweet flavors of ripe raspberry, chocolate, and cherry on the palate.

Apothic Red is the flavor of the month ? :b

RJS is also coming out with something similar . (without the merlot )
Winemaker's Trio - Cellar Classic Winery Series
AVAILABLE SEPTEMBER
80026527 Cellar Classic Winery Series

Red
The Winemaker’s Trio is the perfect blend of Cabernet Sauvignon, Syrah and Zinfandel fermented on GenuWine Winery Crushed Grape Skins. This new world style red has a nicely integrated balance of tannins and acidity. It features an inviting blend of vanilla, red berries, and black cherry on the nose and it combines the sweet flavors of ripe raspberry, chocolate, and cherry on the palate.

Apothic Red is the flavor of the month ? :b

Also not interested in a sweet red but the RJS Trio is listed as dry and they include skins:

Sweetness
Dry
Oak
Medium
Body
Medium
Grape Skins
GenuWine Winery Crushed Grape Skins

That sounds tempting.

I bought this the other day from Winemaker Toy store and should receive it any day now. I do like the Apothic Red, but I can't take too much of it before I have to go to something drier.
I'll be the Guinea Pig here and give it a whirl. Maybe it's not as off dry as a sweet red.

Awesome!!

Well my Diablo Rojo is labelled as an off-dry as well...one month in the bottle and I don't find it that way at all...

Guys you don't have to add the f-pack so you can make it dry or add as little of the f-pack as you like. If the blend sounds good and the price is right go for it!

I'm not sure if it comes with an fpac. But that sounds like a very good idea if it has one.

Just an update on this. I finally got to start my Enigma kit last week. Surprisingly it has no skins, oak or fpac.
After 5 days it's down to 1.012. The juice out of the bag was really nice. Very hard to pinpoint any particular varietal of grape. I am going to stick pretty close the original product without any tweaks. At least no raisins or currants or fruit fpacs. I may add some oak and probably finishing tannis. I'll decide that when I know it's dry.

A bit off topic but after rereading this thread it seems that the lines are really being blurred between Wine Expert, Cellar Craft, Kenridge, Wine kitz and how ever many other kit companies they own. Time for new blood in the kit industry.

Yup, there are really only three major manufacturers: Peller, RJS and MM.

Last edited:
Back