New and ready to make wine

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hoffman13954

Junior
Reaction score
Hello everyone. I live in Petersburg Ohio. I am new to wine making but I am very excited to do something fun and challenging. My wife and I have been to the local winery the past two weeks and found it very enjoyable and relaxing.
I started my first batch of pinot noir with the help of Runningwolf and messages from the forum. I read on the forum that someone said that you should take a taste of your wine through the different stages for the experience. My first though was " what does something taste like that smells like a pair of dirty socks? Well it tastes great. I couldn't believe it. It was in full fermentation and I took a sip and it is sweet. Wow. It is great to be on board with everyone. This is a great site with lots of great people. I look forward to meeting as many of you as I can. I am really enjoying this hobby.

Daryl

Daryl, many of us love this addiction we all claim is just a hobby. Glad to have you join.

Welcome to our site. We are starting to get a good gathering of Ohioans here. I just shipped out 2 pumps today to 2 different people in ohio!

Daryl, welcome to the party. I believe you live pretty close to Flem (Mike) who also just started this past Fall making wine. Are you taking advantage of the wine making classes and club being offered by Luva Bella? I wish i didn't live so far from there. You will have a lot of chances to taste our wines this year as we have parties and lunches planned pretty much each month going forward this summer.

I haven't signed up for the classes at Luva Bella yet. I like to jump in, read, ask questions and hope things turn out right. Kind of like most of us that purchase something that needs put together. Who has time to read the instructions? So you end up with a couple extra parts. I like the challenge of wine making. I like the taste of it too.

Daryl

Kind of like most of us that purchase something that needs put together. Daryl

I asked my wife that last week. Why is it when I search for something, order and pay for it, pick it up and bring it home to assemble it.

Then she searchs for something, orders and pays for it, picks it up and brings it home for ME to assemble it.

Why can't you assemble it. It was a POC clothes hanger thing from some 3rd world toilet country with directions in many languages except one.

2 days later and some duct tape adjustments I completed it.

Hi Daryl! Welcome to the forum. I'm the one Dan referred to above. I'm not sure where Petersburg is, but I'll check it out. I'm like most men; I like to try to figure things out myself. However, while there are forgiving aspects in wine making, there are many steps that have to be done in a specific sequence. Good luck and feel free to ask questions. There are a lot of smart people on this forum--- Use them.

Mike,
I have already started asking questions, downloading books (that someone suggested on here) I did make wine about 20 years ago and it turned out very good. There was a company called wine mart that my wife and I took classes from. Things have really changed since then.
You are just south of me. Probably 15 or 20 miles. (I think) I am about 40 minutes north from the Pittsburgh Airport. I live in Ohio but could hit PA with a stone (almost).

Daryl

Hello from CT!

Couple pointers - get a pump from Wade. Did that come out right?
Ask lots, I have never seen a "try the search" remark on here like other forums. It's like a bunch of displaced friends! I'd say family, but I have a feeling we get along better :D

The mods here know there stuff as you know from talking to Dan. Must have 100 years of experience on this board.

Well Dan is 100 years old but hasnt bee making wine that long! LOL Steve, is that duct tape placement because of where they left out 2 or 3 screws of great importance? Its always some kind of screw that just isnt sold in a hardware store also!

Hi Daryl,

Welcome to winemakingtalk. Glad to have another winemaker close by to join in on our gatherings.

Is anyone interested in the Iron Bridge for brunch again?

Rob,
Great to hear that you don't get the "try the search first on here" sometimes you search the wrong words and don't find what you are looking for. Sometimes you don't know what are the right words to search with. It always makes you feel bad when you get that "try the search reply" Yes, from everything I have seen on this forum - this is the one for me!!! Great people getting together "better" than family and helping each other.

Daryl

The search function can be useful for longtime members. A lot of times you have given a quite long response or worse, you are haveing a case of "oldtimers" disease, you know "CRS". We can search for something we remember is there to refresh our memory to help give the answer again without having to retype it all.

Looking for other threads that might apply to your question can help you to make a more intelligent question. You can look with the search feature, but you can also just browse the topics in the sub-forum that seems most applicable. Sometimes you will find the answer, sometimes you won't, and sometimes you will find multiple answers.

Steve

.... or check the "similar threads" section at the bottom of the page.

Back