Need suggestions from the Experts!

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TABITHARL

Reaction score
So my first batch (OB Merlot) is almost ready to be racked which means I will have an empty primary fermenter!

My question for the experts is this: Which one should I do next?!? I like semi-sweet wines, soft reds and whites, moscottos, or rieslings. I'd like to make one more 5Gallons that has a quick turn-around (maybe before Christmas)and then will try something that takes a little more time maybe. We have been looking at recipes and a few stick out: skeeter pee, skittles, caramel apple mead, or one with welches grape concentrate. I had originally said I didn't want to do another OB kit because ABV is low, but I remember now that all I have to do is add sugar, so would consider it.

Anyway, what does anyone else think?? I can't wait to try the first one, and start the second!!!!

Most what you want are not fast to bottle. Meaning it will not be ready for Christmas. I would suggest a "mist" type wine and boost the alcohol. Search here for how.

I agree with Tom. You'll need to buy and Island Mist or Orchard Breezin kit to have it drinkable by Christmas. They have many varieties. The Blackberry Merlot is very popular.What ever you decide, let us know and we'll help you tweak it.

There is a Beaujolais Nouveaux kit from WinExpert that came out a while ago and if you could find one of those it is ready to drink right away so could be ready for Christmas. Try your dealers to see if one is still around.

I agree with Tom. You'll need to buy and Island Mist or Orchard Breezin kit to have it drinkable by Christmas. They have many varieties. The Blackberry Merlot is very popular.What ever you decide, let us know and we'll help you tweak it.

O M G !
we agree once again. LOL :dg

If you do o the Mist kit route the RJS Orchard Breezin kits IMO are the best. The Peach Chardonnay is very nice and nit to sweet as is but some are very sweet and you should taste while adding the sweetening pack at the end often so as nit to over sweeten. I usually bump up the abv on these by adding about 3 lbs of sugar when in the primary which brings it up to about 10% abv. The Blueberry Shiraz is a fav. for most people I know!

You could also do a frozen concentrate wine... pick your flavor... 4 cans per gallon and more to use at the end to sweeten.
Skeeter pee made with a concentrate starter would be a very good choice... one you won't regret!

Debbie

I would do a mist kit, or the orchard breezin kit, these are designed to be done in 2 months.

If you do a concentrate or even sp, while it could be done but it just might not be done in two months, it is iffy.

Thanks guys, I think we are going to do one more kit (but adding sugar), for fast turn around, and also to get a little more comfortable with the process. Might try the concentrate or sp after that! Those are two ideas I have been looking into!!
Thanks a bunch for the feedback!

whichever kit you decide to do, keep that slurry and make an sp.

Hi Julie,
I don't mean to hijack Tabitha's thread but I'm going through this learning process with her. By keeping the slurry, you mean all the solids left over in the primary after racking it? Is that what you use to start skeeter pee?

Yes, Ryan, that is what a slurry is. SP is an early drinker that you can make while allowing your other wines to age.

My second batch of wine is ready to go from primary fermenter to secondary fermenter. Couple of questions. What is the purpose of secondary, just move it off the sediment?
Second question: this batch is green apple riesling. I was thinking of saving the slurry for sp. How long can I keep it before I use it? I've heard others have frozen the slurry, what are your thoughts on that? Lastly, I am not sure if apple is a good flavor to mix into sp, but it is what I have. Can I overpower it with berries? Any other thoughts on that?

Thanks for input!

My second batch of wine is ready to go from primary fermenter to secondary fermenter. Couple of questions. What is the purpose of secondary, just move it off the sediment?
Second question: this batch is green apple riesling. I was thinking of saving the slurry for sp. How long can I keep it before I use it? I've heard others have frozen the slurry, what are your thoughts on that? Lastly, I am not sure if apple is a good flavor to mix into sp, but it is what I have. Can I overpower it with berries? Any other thoughts on that?

Thanks for input!

Hopefulyl I can help with a couple of these.. you are correct the main reason to rack to the secondary is to get it off the sediment. Some of us kinda skip the secondary step by leaving it in the primary until fermentation is complete and then rack, top up and start the clearing-stabilzation phase. Buwith some wines it takes a long time to clear so you don't want to have to much sediment in the carboy for those wines. That is when I use a secondary for a few weeks and then rack to a clean and sanatized carboy to clear.

As far as apple in the SP.. I think apple flavor will get lost in the SP so IMO I would not use that as a slurry. You can freeze slurrys to save for a batch of SP but I would not keep them a real long time. I have froze them for a month or month and a half and have never had an issue with getting it to ferment.

Hope that helps

Thanks for the reply. You said you wouldn't use the green apple slurry because the flavor will be "lost". I actually want to make cranberry lime sp, so what if I am not really wanting the flavor of the apple anyway? The reading I have done leads me to believe the primary reason I am saving a slurry is because sp is hard to get fermenting and so an actively fermenting slurry is a good way to get it started. The secondary reason for using the slurry is for flavor, which I plan to change into cran-lime anyway. Am I understanding the whole slurry thing anyway?

I took a tiny taste of the riesling, although it isn't even done fermenting. It was pretty yummy!!!

At what points in the wine making process do you taste? I like wine, but don't know enough about it to understand what tastes to expect, or even when to sample. I am enjoying learning about the process anyway. Can't wait to taste my own, and give as gifts also!

Don't give any away for at least 9 months after it's done. It's best to drink the first couple batches yourself. Make sure you let it clear thoroughly. You should not see "streaks" of light when a flashlight is shining through it at night. Biggest mistake is bottling too early. Most wines need 6-9 months in a carboy with a couple of rackings to be worthy of a gift. Several more need 13-18 months to be completely integrated and delicious.
Sip every step of the way and keep it sulfited and topped up per usual protocols. Wine goes through some "weird" phases at times and you just need to know if it is a normal phase or not... practice and patience is the key...

Have fun!!

Debbie

Thanks Debbie. So as long as I can be patient and wait, it will clear in time. In the meantime, I'm going to actually have to go Christmas shopping, damn! Thanks for pointers;)

I took a tiny taste of the riesling, although it isn't even done fermenting. It was pretty yummy!!!

At what points in the wine making process do you taste? I like wine, but don't know enough about it to understand what tastes to expect, or even when to sample. I am enjoying learning about the process anyway. Can't wait to taste my own, and give as gifts also!

The apple reisling slurry will be fine to use as a sp and if you freeze it, it will last a very long time. I have used slurries that I have had in the freezer for 18 months with no problem.

You taste as you go along, if you like wine then the taste you expect is the one you like. Don't worry about what you think it is suppose to taste like, just what you like.

Since this is a mist type wine, it will be ready to drink right away so you can gift them if you like this Christmas - just follow the directions. You may also want to filter this since it is a white wine and you want to make good impressions for your first effort.
Regular wines need more time to develop as others have mentioned.

Back