need general info

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LA-BOY

Reaction score
I am kinda new to wine making, about 10 years ago I had made quite a few very good batches of wild grape wine and apple wine. Well I ordered enough STUFF to get me started again , the right way. I have a simple question, my first batch, soon to be made will be with peaches. My question is, as you rack over the primary fermentation to the secondary how do you keep most of the sediment out of the carboy. My mom uses cheese cloth to help with this, but is there any other way to do this other than just being careful and not sucking it up the tube. Thanks for any input, and I will be asking many questions as I get back into this very rewarding hobby. LA-BOY , Also one last question , can I use a 5 gallon water bottle for my secondary ferm.Edited by: LA-BOY

You can put the fruit from anything in a bag- like the paint strainer bags. They make them special for wine, etc. As you ferment the fruit is kept in the bag and when it is about ready to transfer, just gently squeeze the bag- not hard with peach and you will keep most of the pulp in the bag. Let it settle for another day and then carefully rack of the lees and sediment. Just keep the racking cane slightly above the sediment. It aids it by placing something like a wood spring clamp under one side.

Glad to have you on board. Good luck with it and keep us informed of your progress.

Welcome LA-BOY...
Hope you find all your answers here.....
Learn with us as we all gaining each others knowledge....

Merry Christmas!!!!

Another way that helps is by using a spigot which is mounted above where most of your sediment is and then just strain off the little bit at the end. Welcome LA and hope you stay and join our family. We love to share our recipes for wine and life!

Welcome LA-Boy
smiley32.gif

How about my question of using a 5 gallon water bottle for the secondary ferm. Is this OK or should I use a 5 gallon bucket with a sealed lid and air lock. thanks for input and thanks for welcoming me to this forum. LA-BOY.

It is okay for short period of time but really recommend glass for any extended period of time as the water bottle will leach a plastic taste. It is not of equal quality of a better bottle.
<t></t><table id="products" width="100%" align="center" border="1" bordercolor="#000000" cellpadding="2" cellspacing="0"><t><tr><td width="2%" align="default"><div align="center">BB03 </td>
<td width="5%"><div align="center">
%5Cimages%5Cbb_6g_plain_sm.jpg
</td>
<td width="20%">

5-Gallon Better-Bottle (Not drilled for racking outlet.)

Uses a #10 Stopper.</td>
<td width="2%"><div align="right">$22.99</td>
<td width="2%">
</td></tr></t></table>Do not use a bucket as that will leave too much head space and will oxidize your wine.

Edited by: wade

You didn't say if this is plastic or glass, but theplastic used in water bottles is different than the plastic used in plastic fermentors[ Better Bottles]....The bucket can be used if you can get a good seal, but I would move it to a carboy as soon as it was done fermenting....A carboy would be a better way to go for a secondary fermentor...Good luck

Latest posts

Back