Need a new apple cider/wine reciepe!

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

smikes

Reaction score
My friend and I have a little competition going on over wine made from fresh apple cider. We do two 6 gallon batchs each.

Last year the one I made came out excellent! It was 6 gallons of hungaran oaked, raisened greatness with alcohol around 12%. Vanilla notes and a hint of cinnamin,but neither added!

My other 6 gallons went into a cider/beer adventure which is drinkable, but not noteworthy.

This year I am only going with 1 six gallon batch and looking for something different,still around the 12% mark but mabey with a different flavor.

Would any of you care to share your Ideas? I had read somewhere of an apple pie wine, but seems that it involved everclear and I don't want to go that way.

Thank You In advance!!

I don't have a recipe for you but I just have to say, if you made a great/fantastic batch last year I would make it again and try to make it even better. Maybe add some vanilla, cinnamonor mulling spice to it.

I made some spiced apple 2 years ago with the mulling spices and white raisins and 2 sticks of cinnamon and need to make another batch soon as there is only 2 bottles left.

Since were on the subject.
I have been pondering on adding some cinnamon to 3 of my 6 gallons of crabapple I made. I am kind of pondering if the flavor will disperse well if I soak 3 sticks in K -meta for 12 hours and just drop em in while it bulk ages. A little cloudyness is not to big of a concern becouse i plan on ageing this a full year before bottling due to the apple wine tartness that doesnt smooth outtill a year after fermented."so I have read and heard"
Do you think one stick per gallon is too much? Im thinking of having a string or fish line on the sticks and have them hang in the middle from the airlock for equil dispersion rather than themconcentraiting on the bottom.Edited by: Aaronh

3 sticks might be a bit to much. I would start with 1/2 a stick and keep tasting it. If your bulk aging it with the stick in it, it will get stronger as the time passes, 3 sticks may over power in just a few days.

I agree with Jobe as 3 may be too much, I would go with maybe 1 1/2 tops and taste every month kind of like oaking a a wine.
Edited by: wade

Thanks for the input
smiley1.gif

Latest posts

Back