My wine making room and cellar

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Next time I am in Penn I am stopping in for a look see myself... and perhaps a taste or two:ib

Sorry about the dumb question, I was so dumbfounded by your project I asked the question before reaching the bottom of the thread. Very nice workmanship. bk

Next time I am in Penn I am stopping in for a look see myself... and perhaps a taste or two

Any time, fellow wine makers are always welcome.

Sorry about the dumb question, I was so dumbfounded by your project I asked the question before reaching the bottom of the thread. Very nice workmanship.

No problem Homer, somewhere on the second page Wade admitted missing the whole wine rack portion.:slp

Since you run a welding shop, you should make smaller versions of those and stock/sell them. I know I would buy one!
How much would a 50 bottle rack run to make?

Since you run a welding shop, you should make smaller versions of those and stock/sell them. I know I would buy one!
How much would a 50 bottle rack run to make?

I didn't keep track of costs on those because they were so high I knew I would never be able to sell one competitively with something made off shore.

So Rod did you make one of those to pass the bottle around the table also? Might not be a bad idea for carboys though. Ummmm and maybe with a hydrolic lift for siphoning!

I know your workmanship is good but Im not sure those casters are rated for much, they look like casters for light duty stuff.

I know your workmanship is good but Im not sure those casters are rated for much, they look like casters for light duty stuff.

They are from old office chairs. So the load should be comparable, 20 gallons is about 166lbs (75 kilo) Weight of average american....more.

Rodo, a quick question in your large containers are you planning on using kits, frozen grapes, or Welch's grape juice? You must really like to make wine, I don't know about drinking it but you must really like making it. bk

The blue barrels are 20 gallons each.
My plan is to use them to fetch juice from the winery and then as primary fermenters. This weekend will be a trip to Presque Isle Winery to pick up 16 gal of Concord, 16 gal of Fredonia, 18 gal of Niagara. The following weekend hopefully I'll make a trip to Walkers to fill the final one with Diamond.
One of the keys to wine making is to get to the point that you are making more than you can consume or give away so that you will have some to age.

The following weekend hopefully I'll make a trip to Walkers to fill the final one with Diamond.
One of the keys to wine making is to get to the point that you are making more than you can consume or give away so that you will have some to age.

Rod can you send me that price list again. Careful with Walkers, I haven't heard a commitment yet as to when they're opening. They're suppose to post it on facebook. I agree with you on making more then you can consume or give away. Bill that you got some carboys from just donated 60 cases for an Octoberfest. I think we need to visit him again LOL.

I find that the amount you go through is directly proportional to how good it comes out.

If the wine comes out bad, then you will not have any friends begging for it and are also not likely to give it to anyone you care about.

If the wine comes out good, then it will be gone faster than you can say "Would you like another glass?".

Never worry about making more than you need. You will find that the Cost-Per_bottle drops the more you make.

johnT.

The blue barrels are 20 gallons each.
My plan is to use them to fetch juice from the winery and then as primary fermenters.

First time post. I've really enjoyed viewing this thread. Quick newbie question: You mention "fetching" juice from wineries. Is it usual or customary for wineries to sell their juice? There are a few small wineries around here (Louisville, KY) and I am wondering if this would be a good quality source for me. I know I could/should call them, but I was just wondering if this is a common practice. Thanks.

First, welcome to the forum and thanks for vieving my wine room thread.
A good resource is "The Map" there are several wineries and vinyards, and couple of home brew stores. Also several member markers, I would start by sending other members in your area a PM some one will know where to get juice.

Back