My wine making room and cellar

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Rod,

Just wondering were you found that spray nozzle that I'm guessing you use for cleaning your carboys and bottles. I am a plumber and am familiar with commercial kitchen setups. The body of your pull down sprayer looks like its T&S Brass, but I was unaware that they made carboy sprayers.

Looks great, you've done an excellent job

I am not sure which sprayer you're talking about but this is the best carboy Spray Wand on the market. It costs very little and works excellent for carboys, primaries and large bottles.

Last edited:
Just wondering were you found that spray nozzle that I'm guessing you use for cleaning your carboys and bottles. I am a plumber and am familiar with commercial kitchen setups. The body of your pull down sprayer looks like its T&S Brass, but I was unaware that they made carboy sprayers.

Right you are about T&S Brass I made the end though, just threaded a piece of SS pipe to fit the spray handle the other end I threaded 1/4 NPT for the spray nozzle and drilled a hole in the side and brazed in a shortened brass flat spray nozzle.

80PSI water pressure and 140 degree water makes short work of cleaning carboys.

I also have a shorter / smaller one without any nozzles for stubborn bottles.

IMG_4129_2_1.JPG

IMG_4132_1_1.JPG

I've made a couple of additions since the previous posts.

A shelf to organize my glassware.
IMG_4382_5_1.JPG
and a bottle filler

Attachments

• IMG_4400.jpg
    IMG_4400.jpg
    24.8 KB · Views: 295
If the going gets tough, you can always sell racks!

I would buy something like that if the price with shipping wasnt too bad. Problem is that metal gets heavy pretty quick Im sure.

LOL I really don't think anyone could offord to buy them when you add up labor and material. It helps to be in the trade and have all the tools and knowledge. I really look forward to the day I can make it to rods house to visit and see his wine room.
One could have a rack like these with square hole's quite inexpensively. You would need to buy 14'x16' goat panel from Tractor supply. You can cut it in have so you have two panels to hold your bottles. Use 1x2's as spacers and to hold it together. I know a number of folks have done this. Before I knew about it, i bought a rack that looks just like one.

I like the bottle filler, Rod. Great job. Why is it tilted? Where did you get
the little cylindrical dashpot? Is that SS or is it plated?

Thanks
It is SS, the cylinder is called a gas spring from McMaster Carr.
I originally built it so that the bottle was perpendicular however there was too much agitation of the wine so tilted it. The wine now gently runs down the side of the bottle.

This is truly amazing, very envious of your set up but more determined than ever to improve my own! I got started by bashing together a bench to keep my single primary and single carboy off the floor of the laundry room in our condo, so I have a ways to go, but thanks very much Rod for posting all these pics.

What a nice Job!!!

In November of 2008 I picked up my first wine kit, a fermenter bucket, 2 carboys and some other miscellaneous wine making odds and ends. My wine making space was to be a rather large (about 25 -30 square feet) seldom used shower stall in our spare bathroom. By Autumn of the 09 when it was time to go to the winery and pick up 4 buckets of juice the shower stall could no longer contain all "the wine making stuff ". Plus, toating full buckets from the downstairs kitchen to the upstairs bathroom and full carboys back to the kitchen for bottling was becoming a problem.

Several times my wife (who loves wine, and fully supports this hobby)commented that we really needed to have a wine making room. The question was just where? Although this building is quite large it is both our home and business and I've had 28 years to fill it. About 6 months ago I finally decided if I rearranged a storage area and got rid of some stuff I could have a wine making room and cellar.

View attachment 584

OK I have no idea why you have to click on the first photo if anyone can enlighten me I'd sure appreciate it:a1:c

Anyway first pix is what you see when you enter the room pix 2 is looking back at the entrance pix 3 is the door to the cellar pix 4 the wine rack pix 5 looking back at the entrance

Rod

What a great job, I have a job for you in NY if you areinterested. Well done, I'm Jealous!!!

Yeah, Rod, don't hold out on us. pm me if you would really consider making
me one. Or even a parts/cut list.

It's sort of a work in progress.

IMG_4401.jpg

It works pretty good but I'm not quite satisfied yet. I would consider making some.

It's taken a while but all 604 of the 750 ML holes are full. About half of the 198 15ML spaces are occupied.:db

IMG_4406.jpg

Latest posts

Back