My wine making room and cellar

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
OK so I still don"t have this multiple photos with text thing figured out yet!

Here's that 1000' of rod all wound up into coils the small ones in front the big ones in back

IMG_3842_15_4_1.jpg

Next I cut the rings loose from the coils with a 6" abrasive saw, they sort of look like lock washers at this point.

There's about 550 small rings and 270 big ones

IMG_3845_18_4_1.jpg

Last edited:
I don't have any photos of sizing and welding the ends of the rings, we had a couple of fixtures the first was to align the ends it was a tab welded to the table with half the ring extending over the edge of the table and the back half held down by the tab, a couple of taps with a hammer to take the lock washer effect out of them.

The other fixture was 3 equally spaced triangles that stood up from the table, we pushed each ring into it to control the size of the OD of the ring and then we TIG welded the ends together.

By "we" I mean me and my helper, this part of the project was monotonous to say the least.

These next photos show things starting to come together.

IMG_3847_1_1.jpg

And another, every place the rings touch they are welded on both sides.

Photo 2 shows that of corse anytime you weld somthing you have distortion.

IMG_3848_2_1.jpg

IMG_3850_4_1.jpg

It's way past my bed time I'll add more tomorrow:gn
Rod

The first photo is the lower rack for 1500 ML bottles the next 3 are the upper rack for 750 ML bottles.

IMG_3853_1_4_1.jpg

IMG_3856_2_2_1.jpg

IMG_3859_3_2_1.jpg

IMG_3860_4_2_1.jpg

In these last photos its all painted and ready to install.

IMG_3862_1_1.jpg

IMG_3864_2_1.jpg

IMG_3867_3_1.jpg

I don't have any photos of sizing and welding the ends of the rings, we had a couple of fixtures the first was to align the ends it was a tab welded to the table with half the ring extending over the edge of the table and the back half held down by the tab, a couple of taps with a hammer to take the lock washer effect out of them.

The other fixture was 3 equally spaced triangles that stood up from the table, we pushed each ring into it to control the size of the OD of the ring and then we TIG welded the ends together.

Here is the fixture used to align the ends and weld them together.

If anyone wants more detail, or better explination of any aspect of my wine room project please don't hesitate to ask. I always worry that I,m putting too much info in and boring people.

Rod

IMG_3998_1_1.jpg

....or you could've just bought one.

KIDDING!!! Oh my Lord that is a beautiful project. So happy that you took the time to photograph your work and share it with us. I don't have the equipment, let alone the talent or patience for such a thing.

Nicely done.

Sir, I'm tipping my hat to you right now as I type. I'm just guessing that you weren't drinking much as you fabricated all that... :)
The only thing I enjoy more than drinking my wine, is making stuff, but I don't have space or time to do anything that complicated.
I understand where you get it from. I see your location as Pa. I was born and raised down here in Fl. but half my blood comes from Pa. people.
Heck, we just might be cousins....

Logistics question: Judging by looking at the photos of the narrow room you have the rack in, did you have to get the racks through the doorway? How did you manage that, the appear on the photo to be too long and wide to fit and turn the corner against the wall? Or is that a hallway outside of the wine making area?

Logistics question: Judging by looking at the photos of the narrow room you have the rack in, did you have to get the racks through the doorway? How did you manage that, the appear on the photo to be too long and wide to fit and turn the corner against the wall? Or is that a hallway outside of the wine making area?

Great question
The wood corner trim piece that includes the light switch and part of the strike plate is removable with about a dozen screws, when removed it makes the opening several inches wider. When I was planning the racks I checked it a couple of times with a 2X10 just to be sure. They went in with no problems. They came through both doors at the same time.

WOW, what a wine rack.:slp
You have some serious work and time in that thing. All that welding, fitting clamping,.....Did you ever start to wonder "what the heck am I doing here" LOL:?
I like to fab stuff myself, and I know how it gets, you reach a point and figure there's no turning back now. LOL
Nice job Rod:h

WOW, what a wine rack.:slp
You have some serious work and time in that thing. All that welding, fitting clamping,.....Did you ever start to wonder "what the heck am I doing here" LOL:?
I like to fab stuff myself, and I know how it gets, you reach a point and figure there's no turning back now. LOL
Nice job Rod:h

Yep that about covers it

Thanks
Rod

I have added some more things to the wine room. Last weekend I finished installing a permanent vacuum pump.
I know the pump is overkill but it's been collecting dust here for nearly 15 years and I also had everything else to install it.
The first picture is the pump it's located under the wine room.
The second photo is the vacuum gauge,relief valve and vac port.
Photo three is the foot pedal that controls the pump.

IMG_4010_4_1_1.jpg

IMG_4015_9_1_1.jpg

IMG_4030_24_1_1.jpg

wow that is great...thats a some day project for me..( or for you if you visit me ) :)

Latest posts

Back