My Wine Cellar

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hartm

Reaction score
I figured I would share some pics of my wine cellar. Ironically, I finished this room before I started my first kit.

The temperature has been pretty stable so far. In the winter it stayed at 60 F, So far in the summer (hasn't heated up too much here) it hasn't warmed above 63 F. I have an exterior weather sensor in the room so I can check the temp without opening the door. I also wired in a 20-Amp outlet in case I decide to upgrade to a controlled temperature situation.

20090629_060324_Cellar_Exterior.jpg

I used an exterior door. In the above pic you can see the vapor barrier and the R-19 insulation I used for the walls.

20090629_060707_Cellar_Door.jpg

I use an extra piece of R-5 foam insulation that fits inside the door jam on the inside of the cellar. This brings the entry to a total of R-12. Still the lowest.

...more pics...

20090629_061041_Cellar_Interior.jpg

20090629_061249_Cellar_Interior.jpg

I went with custom racks. I looked into building my own, but I wanted redwood which truned out to be expensive. If you do use custom racks, make sure you measure your space (several times). I was able to get enough racks to hold ~550 bottles not including the 70 bottle rack I used to have.

...more pics...

20090629_061644_Cellar_Interior.jpg

Here is the sensor for the weather station I have and the outlet. The space above the outlet is reserved for the cooling unit should I need it. So far the temperature is acceptable.

20090629_061854_Cellar_Floor.jpg

The floor is similar to a laminent floor. I loved the pattern.

Before long I'll be filling this up with my own wine. I can't wait.

Let me know if you have any questions, comments are welcome.

Looks very good, nice to have the room dedicated for such purpose. Fill it and enjoy!

Thanks for the pictures

Great looking little room there. Fill up the racks, lock the door and forget about it a while and you will have a great stash to enjoy. In the meanwhile you will be able to drink the stuff already purchased in bottles.

Looks awesome. Keep an eye on the humidity during the summer also, my cellar stays at a nice temp but I have to warm it up a tad as the humidity gets too high in the dead of summer and I have to run a dehumidifier which kicks it up a few more degrees.

What kind of temperature variance are you guys seeing in your rooms? I was thinking about installing a cooling unit if I had more than 5 degrees variation from summer to winter. It looks like I might be very close to that range.

Nice room, I like the floor also. You went to a lot of work. Enjoy.

nice....are you able to control that room separately in terms of temperature?

That sound so sexist!

The pic of the floor is making me want to tear out the berber carpet in my winery and put down tile. Hmmm maybe a Winter project.

admiral said:
Very nice!  I like the racks.  Well done.  So, what is in the racks now?
smiley1.gif

ibglowin said:
That sound so sexist!

The pic of the floor is making me want to tear out the berber carpet in my winery and put down tile. Hmmm maybe a Winter project.

admiral said:
Very nice! I like the racks. Well done. So, what is in the racks now?
smiley1.gif

I smiled while I typed it.
smiley1.gif

Nice wine room. Great job on that insulation panel too. I like the handles on it.
Can't wait to buy a house so I can build one for myself.
Are those racks storebought or custom built?

Back