My vines are on order

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LoveTheWine

Reaction score
Going to plant about 20 in my backyard
A local grower who supplies lots of the wineries agreed to supply me this amount
for 2.50$ a plant.

Just getting ready to plant this week.

Quick question please. (bear with me as I'm a total newbie at grape growing)
Below is an exert from 'Vines to Wines' showing how to plant a dormant vine and then prune back to 2 or 3 buds eventually choosing one as the main trunk.

Since my self rooted vines will have undergone bud break already do I still prune them back at planting?

A week ago I planted a green seedless for my daughter and pruned it as shown,
I went away for week. Got back today and It has grown like crazy!

I also Included a picture of the planting area.

Thanks for the help in advance.

grape pic.jpg

vineyard.jpg

You can prune just like in the book. It doesn't matter if they have begun to grow just a little- prune the same way. That way the vine puts the energy from the roots into several vigorous growing shoots and not into 50 stunted shoots. I often prune second year vines a similar way, depending on how vigorous the vine grows in the year of establishment.

...and he knows his stuff! :h

Yes it seems as though he does. Lots of vineyard experience. :r
Thanks Grapeman for all your helpful posts. I have read your vineyard from the beginning blogs and they are great!

I guess I was stressing a little too early as well, picked up the plants today
and they are all cuttings and only have two or three buds. They are growing extremely well.
Lots of little clusters to pinch off too.
Planting time is in the morning!

I just did that very thing this week. I planted Baco Noir and Seyval Blanc. I cut them back to three ir four buds. They are growing like crazy. Lots of suckers to pinch off.

Here are some pictures of the cuttings I planted in the spring.
Notice the root ball is pretty small and even smaller on some of them.

20130511_114418.jpg

20130511_104145.jpg

20130511_104131.jpg

Here are some pictures from today, about two months after planting.
Some vines have reached close to 5ft already, some are a few feet tall and others are still a little small.

All are alive and healthy though!

(yes I know I have some weeding to do)

20130726_144510.jpg

20130726_144526.jpg

20130726_144534.jpg

I just did that very thing this week. I planted Baco Noir and Seyval Blanc. I cut them back to three ir four buds. They are growing like crazy. Lots of suckers to pinch off.

How are the vines that you planted this year coming along mgmarty?

Latest posts

Back