My plan for 2017 wine from California grapes

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I’ve been chatting with the PSU enology extension educator (she works with PA wineries). She’s suggesting that I try again with the three wise men. Using MLB for difficult wines, yeast hulls and ML nutrient.

I’m game for it, but only if there’s a real chance for success.

Thoughts?

I’ve been chatting with the PSU enology extension educator (she works with PA wineries). She’s suggesting that I try again with the three wise men. Using MLB for difficult wines, yeast hulls and ML nutrient.

Thoughts?

Did you happen to ask about sulfite levels? I'm sure there are other factors to not allow MLF but this seems to be the most consistant. That would be my only thought.

Did you happen to ask about sulfite levels? I'm sure there are other factors to not allow MLF but this seems to be the most consistant. That would be my only thought.

Yep. She said basically what is generally known: More than 50ppm could inhibit fermentation. I don’t have the equipment to measure sulfite levels.

Tiny bubbles... in my wine.

Now that that song is stuck in your head, three of the four carboys are showing good signs on MLF.

Just sittin back tryin to recapture a little of the glory. Well time slips away and leaves you with nothin Mister but boring stories of the glory days. Yea they’ll pass you by, in the wink of a young girls eye.

Using MLB for difficult wines, yeast hulls and ML nutrient.
Thoughts?
Just reminiscing a little :) In my very humble opinion I think your best chance for success is to not take anything for granted. Why go through all that trouble of adding hulls, a workhorse ml and nutes with an unknown so2 level? At minimum you can use the titrets or accuvin strips- not dead accurate but will get you close enough. Some say titrets are tough to see the color change- but you can dilute your sample in equal parts water for a better visual. And then just double the number at the end. <$20 for 10 tests.
I’d do everything in my power to help it along. Test all levels, the temps, rehydrate with Acti-ML (50g for 2.5g of mlb— haven’t ever inoculated without it), the lees stirring, adding oak helps the bacteria latch onto something, nutrients&hulls, and patience. And then check that malic-free chromatography paper like a boss!
IMG_1349.jpg

Last edited:
These wines have been racked off the lees. And, they're fairly well oaked, too. I abandoned the MLF ship in January, so I just figured I'd let it go and age the wines. I agree - if I'm going down this road again, I'll want to optimize as much as I can for success.

I'll check around for the strips or other way to test free and total SO2.

Last edited:
These wines have been racked off the lees. And, they're fairly well Oakes, too. I abandoned the MLF ship in January, so I just figured I'd let it go and age the wines. I agree - if I'm going down this road again, I'll want to optimize as much as I can for success.

I'll check around for the strips or other way to test free and total SO2.
Pretty sure Scotzin's has the strips, I saw them when I was in there the other week. Hoping to buy something to test SO2 later this year, if some unknown expense doesn't rear it's ugly head, fingers crossed...

This begs the question: What MLB? The MoreWine site points me to either CH16 or VP41 as the heartiest (with the CH16 being a bit more of a workhorse).

Doubt you can make a wrong choice here. Those are the two heavy hitters as I’ve come to learn.
I’m 4 for 4 with vp-41. All I’ve used but will be using both next month. Do you have solid pH’s on the 3 wise men?

Doubt you can make a wrong choice here. Those are the two heavy hitters as I’ve come to learn.
I’m 4 for 4 with vp-41. All I’ve used but will be using both next month. Do you have solid pH’s on the 3 wise men?

The pH's are very good. Between the two, I like the CH16 for its tolerances for alcohol and SO2 levels.

So testing SO2 levels is a non-starter. The Titrator kit they had at the LHBS was for white wines. Checked MoreWine and, short of spending $99 or more, there’s nothing out there.

Anyone with a full Vinemetrica set up want to do an old cranky man a favor??

The packaging just says the titrets are for white wines because it’s easier to see the color change. They also work for reds. Last time o bought em I think I ordered from piwine.com
They have a little suction tube. After prepping the titret the clear liquid inside will be dark purple- almost black. Suck up a tiny bit at a time and agitate to mix. Eventually it will turn to wines original color. With such a small amount of red wine even dark reds look lighter in color. You’ll know when you’ve reached that point. Plus you can always dilute the sample prior.

Last edited:
So testing SO2 levels is a non-starter. The Titrator kit they had at the LHBS was for white wines. Checked MoreWine and, short of spending $99 or more, there’s nothing out there.

Anyone with a full Vinemetrica set up want to do an old cranky man a favor??

I'd be happy to. Just need about 40 ml. Can do more then one result if more were sent.

Back