My plan for 2017 wine from California grapes

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
View attachment 48301.

Not sure why the first post gave me an attachment even I can’t open. Interesting, the PV is the only one that finished MLF.

I’m reading up on MLB, and am liking what I see in the MBR-31.
Check out the Enoferm Alpha and Beta. I have had good luck with them the past couple of years.

Check out the Enoferm Alpha and Beta. I have had good luck with them the past couple of years.
The only measurable difference I see is Beta's higher tolerance for SO2. Either seem to fill the "late in life MLF" bill I have.

I think setting up 3 separate MLB starters is the way to go - rehydrate, feed and add.

The only measurable difference I see is Beta's higher tolerance for SO2. Either seem to fill the "late in life MLF" bill I have.

I think setting up 3 separate MLB starters is the way to go - rehydrate, feed and add.

How great is that tool?! On my list too. So Your adding ML to 3 different carboys, and will be using the same ML all at the same time correct?
Do you typically divide up before rehydrating? I just make 1 in a big measuring cup so I know how much to put in each.
Curious to know what strain you end up using. I’m about to buy some myself and VP-41 is out of stock if I want free shipping. But Alpha, beta, 31 and 35 all look like reasonable options.

How great is that tool?! On my list too. So Your adding ML to 3 different carboys, and will be using the same ML all at the same time correct?
Do you typically divide up before rehydrating? I just make 1 in a big measuring cup so I know how much to put in each.
Curious to know what strain you end up using. I’m about to buy some myself and VP-41 is out of stock if I want free shipping. But Alpha, beta, 31 and 35 all look like reasonable options.

This season is the first time I've done multiple batches, but I divide up the MLB evenly to make sure it's distributed evenly. But, maybe I'm just being weird.

I'm leaning towards the Beta.

Thinking about my fall grape order, has anyone blended Cab & Petit Syrah. My Cabs have been lacking body & color, thought some P Syrah could help. Roy

Maybe do the frozen water bottle deal to keep it on the skins longer too.
I don’t know why I don’t see Alicante grapes used for this very often- which is what my family always used for color. By itself Alicante is damn near black. Even 1 blended with 2 part white still made a med bodied red wine. Regardless, Cab w/ P Syrah sounds like a winer.

Thinking about my fall grape order, has anyone blended Cab & Petit Syrah. My Cabs have been lacking body & color, thought some P Syrah could help. Roy

Yep, have a 2/3 Cab, 1/3 Petite Sirah, 1/3 Merlot Cali blend in a 30 gallon barrel right now. So far, it’s pretty big, but still a babe in the woods.

Maybe do the frozen water bottle deal to keep it on the skins longer too.
I don’t know why I don’t see Alicante grapes used for this very often- which is what my family always used for color. By itself Alicante is damn near black. Even 1 blended with 2 part white still made a med bodied red wine. Regardless, Cab w/ P Syrah sounds like a winer.
I've used the frozen water bottle a few times with success.

Was that your family blend white with alicante? I almost used with sangiovese last year.

Might have to try a petite syrah/alicante blend.

Was that your family blend white with alicante? I almost used with sangiovese last year.

Might have to try a petite syrah/alicante blend.

Lol Last few posts were quite entertaining.

Yeah Alicante : muscat 1:2 ratio. I feel like half the neighborhood did this blend. Often a couple lugs of Thompson’s seedless would be tossed in there as well. Essentially table wine I guess. I loved it. Would be finished before it could age.
And Sangiovese could definitely benefit from some darker grape blended in. I didn’t realize how light they are until I bought em.

Thanks AJ & John for replies. I was planning on a co ferment of Cab & P. Syrah, BUT think I'll ferment separately & blend after bench trials, but before it goes to sleep in the barrel. Thinking this will be a Home Run. Roy

I love petite sirah, both on its own and in a blend. Do it.

I second @Boatboy24 's post, PS is a big winner in my book. I collect it when I can find really good ones, and love to make it.

Roy, my blend was also fermented separately, MLF'd separately, and combined when the barrel was loaded, used only the free run wine in the 30 gallon barrel. Tried to taste different blends, but it was all so green I didn't really get anywhere. Also ended up with a carboy of press wine, 2 gallons each cab, PS and Merlot which is in a Vadai with some oak staves, and have pretty high hopes for that one too.......

Lesson from last night: don't post after cocktails, a bottle wine and appetizers.

I think I’m gonna have some frozen bottles on the ready just in case for Chile grapes. Last fall my ferment was HOT and FAST! For cars and women? Sign me up. But hot and fast may have been a contributing factor of the ferment coming up a hair short of dry.
On smaller ferments I’ve done cold water baths to have control, but in brutes frozen bottles seem ideal if she starts to get out of line.

Back