Mosti Mondiale My first all juice kit showed up leaking

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
geocorn said:
That is fine with me, but be sure to save the date code from the kit. It is the little white sticker with black numbering. There should have been one on the lid and another on the bag cap.

By the way, do you need the additives pack and instructions. I do have spares and can send one out tomorrow. Let me know.

If I'm supposed to have "yeast nutrient" I don't, so you could send that. I have the instructions, but they weren't clear if I was supposed to have the yeast nutrient or not. Before it talked about adding it, it mentioned "if applicable." Maybe the merlot is not supposed to get it?

Edit: I sent you an email.Edited by: onin24eagle

George,

Thanks for sending the yeast nutrient that was missing from the kit. You're the best!
smiley20.gif

Oh boy, did I make a mess. I checked my specific gravity to see if I could add the yeast nutrient George sent. The S.G. was too low at 1.006, so I couldn't add the nutrient. The directions say to rack to a carboy, so I did. The must was fizzing and bubbling in the carboy. I watched it for a bit to see if it was going to overflow and it did not, so I went to dinner. Upon returning from dinner I went to the basement to check only to find my airlock full of wine, and a big puddle of wine on the floor.

Help! What did I do wrong?

Nothing......... I have seen Wade make wine, and this sounds completely normal........
smiley36.gif

You excited the yeast by introducing the must to air, which will bring the yeast to life, along with stirring up the CO2............ I always try to leave a decent amount of head space in the carboy on my first racking by filling a 1.5 Liter bottle about 3/4 full first, then put the rest in the 6 gallon carboy.

Jobe is correct. Try not to fill the carboy on the first racking. If you have too much wine, put some of it in a spare wine bottle with an airlock and stopper. You can use the extra wine for topping off later.

As an aside, the Mosti All Juice products are generally slightly more than 6 gallons, so having the wine bottle handy or a 6.25 gallon carboy comes in very handy.

I never has this problem when racking as I do as said above but just be careful when degassing as this is my problem that Jobe likes to bust me about even though I leave more and more head space each time.
20080227_202729_Volcano.jpg

Man, I keep forgetting to take pics of my mishaps. Nice shot Wade.

Well, I will keep learning valuble things about this hobby for sure.

I'm just glad I decided to move the wine to the basement to rack ohterwise I"d have wine all over my Hardwood floor in the kitchen.

Latest posts

Back