Most Popular Wine Kits

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Would you like me to post the most popular wine kits?

• Total voters
Hmmm...I always WONDERED what poo tastes like....

(Sorry, couldn't resist!)
smiley9.gif

OilnH2O said:
Hmmm...I always WONDERED what poo tastes like....

(Sorry, couldn't resist!)
smiley9.gif

smiley36.gif
As I stated, I am sure it will pretty well taste the same for those with "Advanced and Mature Palettes" as it would for me!
smiley36.gif
I guess my main point is i would hate to see someone buy a kit just because everyone else is.
smiley5.gif

Data is great though to lead one to research if it is indeed something they want. But then again, I guess if you don't buy it and try it, you will never know if you like it.
smiley2.gif
Hmm, that sounds like a great marketing statement there.
smiley32.gif

Smurfe
smiley1.gif

Thanks George:

Funny - a lot of my wines have been the RQ/ WE limited release wines. I guess since these are mostly pre-orders, they don't have enough sales. Can you tell me what have been the highest sellers of these over the last couple years??

Since I only carry Winexpert and a few Spagnols kits, I only listed the Winexpert sales.As to the limited editions and restricted quanities, most people order the complete set of one or the other, so listing all of these kits would not provide much info. In addition, there is no guarantee the any of the LE's or RQ's will be available again. As a result, I opted to omit this info.

I think this is fun information -but not something I would really use to chose a wine - unless I had missed seeing one in the catalogue.

So George - does that mean if there is even 1 sold, it makes the list? It would be interesting to see the magnitude of difference in orders between these - especially the top ones (are they close). But I would think that would be too proprietary of information to make public.

Kind of funny to see a white Zin as the numberthree RED!

Thanks again for putting this together George.Edited by: maize

The list is more just FYI. The thing that jumps out at me has always been how well the Island Mist kits sell. As you will note, they are very popular. The other interesting tidbit is how the flavors rank between the brands.

This information is only 2006 and it is a list of ALL WE kits that I sold this year. I tried to come up with a way to show the magnitude, but gave up. It would provide too much detail that I don't feel is appropriate to the public.

Since the White Zinfandel comes from the Zinfandel grape, which is red, it is considered a red wine by WE. Technically, that is correct, no matter how strange it seems.

Anytime someone uses the phrase 'technically correct' you know it means
that what they're saying doesn't jive with reality. (I can't remember the last
time I used the word jive, not since my my last BeeGees impersonation which
was how long ago?)
smiley36.gif

Oh yes, if you, George, or anyone else has a question they'd like to include in it, just let me know.

It's basically a very simple script (cgi)... Column 1 - question, columns 2-100000 answers.

:)

M.Edited by: MedPretzel

I took your survey and I am impressed. Can't wait to see the results. By the way, you have WE Selection Special twice and don't have WE Selection Estate for the brands.

Thank you for taking the time to do this. I need to find a way to incorporate those questions in a purchase followup.

Well, I revamped it a little -- put them in alphabetical order, and put some more info in. I also took the "doubles" out -- Chardonnay, Pino Noir, Merlot, etc.

No thanks necessary. It's a welcome challenge.
smiley2.gif

Hi all,

I'm a newbie and this is my first post. Bear with me if I goof it up. In line with George's poll results, I have been using the Winexpert annual product guide to choose my wine kits. It provides results of their WineMaker International Amateur Wine Competition for 2002, 2003 and 2005 (no competition in 2004) along with the different types of kits Winexpert offers and specific details of the type of wine such as body, oak, sweekness etc. When I began making wine last year, I chose basic Vintner's Reserve kits mainly because of price and was satisfied with the results. However, after a trip to Australia's wine country last year and sampling many wines, I now prefer to choose the ones that better represent each country's grapes/wine.I like knowing where the grapes were grown andgetting to know the nuances of each varietal. I now use Selection International kits more andam using the product guide to tell me how they ranked in competition.
smiley32.gif
Gold and Silver awards allow me to choose new wines with some guarantee that it will be outstanding and a good representation of that particular type of wine/grape/region. My thinking is that I don't waste time and money on making a wine kit for agood wine when I could make a great wine for a little more.
smiley33.gif
I still make some of the VR and VR Passport wines, but chose fewer of them based on the competition results. How do George's poll results stack up against the Winexpert WineMaker Competition results?
smiley25.gif
Those stats would be based on taste vs. sales which is still another interpretation of what tickles people's tastebuds.
smiley1.gif

As others have stated already, personal taste is different for everyone asare budgets and time. In reality, most of us choose our wines based on a variety of reasons and factors. Frankly, My neighbors and I have enjoyed drinking everything I've made so far; some good and some great.

mountainjaybird,

Welcome! Although my tastebuds are not as refined as most, I know the type of wine I like and you make a very good point. By selecting a kit that isan award winnerin the varietal you enjoy, you can increase the potential that you will be able to produce a quality wine that will meet your needs.

I'm making my first kit now (Vieux Chateau Du Roi). If I find this wine to my liking, I'll save back a few bottles and make a Selection series of the same type and compare.

Again, welcome to the forum.

Mountainjaybird, welcome as well. I have to chime in though about the award winning wines. Don't rule out others as well. From what I have seen in research of competitions, many wines that didn't win medals or were like silver or bronze winners were probably scored as they were due to the fact the wine wasn't aged enough.

I have read the results of a few big shows and was surprised to see so many enter wines that were basically just made. If they were to wait another year to enter the wine, they probably would of scored gold. I have a Mead from last year I am entering in the Indy show but I am waiting till next year for any grape wines to be entered. My oldest worthy wine is coming on a year old and by next year, it should be very competitive.

You might be surprised to see quite a few Vintners Reserve kits have won medals in these competitions as well. It isn't the quality of the kits as much as it is the care in making the kit that scores well for you. Wine isn't really scored against other wines. It is scored against itself. You get points for Appearance, Aroma and Bouquet, Taste, Aftertaste, and Overall Impression.

As you can see, if you concentrate on each of these areas such as filtering for appearance, keeping the wine topped up to prevent oxidation, using good quality water to mix the kit and aging to allow the wine to reach it's potential you can see where it is a lot more than just the kit, there is indeed quality controls the winemaker can utilize to assure a good wine.

You often read these kits are idiot proof or that you aren't really making wine but those of us that make them know it just isn't true. Yes, there is less work but thinking is very much involved and a bad choice can spoil a wine.

With all that said, keep plugging with the Selection kits. I think overall they are the top choice to compete with commercial wines. I just didn't know if you knew who medals were won and would hate to see someone buy a product just because it won a medal. The winemaker had as much to do as the kit did. That is evident when you see numerous like kits entered and some don't win.

Welcome to the forums here and we all look forward to hearing more from you. It appears you have some experience under your belt and I am sure you will be an asset to the group.

Smurfe
smiley1.gif

Thanks for the response guys.
smiley17.gif
I'm not discounting the wine kits that didn't win, but adding another "flavor" to George's poll that's easily found for people to use when trying to choose a new wine to make.While I think sales volume stats are good, people buy wines for variousreasons; some for budget, some forindividual tastes, and some from experience or curiosity. My thinking when I posted was that award winners' statswould be based on flavor/balance, clarity, quality, body etc. from an outside third party (no bias).Like most, I won't buy a kit because it was on the short list for "most popular". I'll choose the kit that stands the best odds to make the best wine for my taste and budget.

Smurfe makes a great point - the winemaker has as much input into the quality of the wine as thewine kit had to begin with. There are just as many ways to ruin the wine or make a so/so wineas there are to make it a great wine; ie. it may not be the quality of the kit, but the experience of the winemaker that determines the overall quality of the wine. I didn't think about the fact that some of the kit winesrepresented in competition might not have been competition quality whichwould have thrown the stats off for a particular category kind of like a mutt in a dog show. I assumed the only highest quality wines would compete for the awards (pedigreed)....wrong.
smiley18.gif

Also, like Smurfe, I prefer the Selection series especially the International ones. I've made over a dozen kits in the past year and all were good. The Selection Int'l, Original and Speciale were much higher in quality than the VR and VR Passport series which make good table wines but lack the body or flavor/balance of the others.

I haven't read through all the posts and am curious. Is there a poll on the most popular country wines (scratch wines)forum members enjoy making? I'm taking a break from kit wines to concentrate on summer wines using fresh fruits from the local farmer's market. I have strawberry in the carboy to be racked soon, Colorado peach in the fermenter for a few more days, and neighborhood dandelion in the carboy waiting on a second racking. I'd like to know what the most popular country wine flavors are and why folks like them best. Is there a post I should look at first?

Greetings Mountainjaybird. Welcome to the forum. I don't know of a specific poll for country wines, but you might want to post on the fruit forum. Martina and others do a lot of country fruit wines and I bet they would be willing to share a lot of ideas with you. A lot of the summer fruit wines make very good wine, but generally the aging time is fairly long. I personally like a couple batches of Black Raspberry wine I made last year-just beginning to get a little mellow-lots of flavor. I mixed one with strawberry to give the strawberry a little extra character. That one is pretty good.
smiley1.gif

Latest posts

Back