Mold? on the outside of juice bag

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jtra

Junior
Reaction score
I have a La Bodega port that I've been eagerly awaiting to start. It had a small tear in the juice bag when received, but the juice appeared to be ok. Life, wife and the kids prevented me from being able to start fermenting right away, so I wiped down the kit contents with some kmeta and put the (unopened) juice pack, F-pack and otheritems (in a zip-lock bag)into a cleanAll-Juice bucket I had from another kit, making sure to keep the small tear/abrasion in the juice bag at the top so it wouldn't leak.

Unfortunately, I also left the packing slip sitting at the very top, which apparently touched the tear, creating enough cappillary action to become slightly moist with juice. When I popped the top off the bucket hoping to get started, the moist packing slip and everything around itwas growing colonies of something. (It wasn't fuzzy mold, but rather clumps of mold or bacteria - some kind of unwanted microbe). I wiped everything down again. I assume the sealed Fpack will be fine. The juice bag has a strong grapey scent and doesn't smell off - I have not tasted it.

I am wondering how to make the best of this situation? I've read and heard so many rave reviewsabout the La Bodega, I hate to give up on it without a fight.

I have read about preparing the must by pre-treating with kmeta to kill unwanted microbes before fermenting. Should I do this and, if so, how?

If the juice tastes okay and smells grapey, is it likely still good?

What extra steps can or shouldI take to successfully prepare this wine?

Thanks for any insight and guidance you can offer.

Welcome jtra. It is too bad about the small problem you have. Hopefully it doesn't prevent you from getting a good batch of port here.

I would call the dealer you got your kit from. If it was George from Fine Vine Wines give him a call and see about replacement. There should not have been a tear in the bag. Some of the dealers will have you keep it and make it anyways and send a new kit. Only the dealer will be able to answer that.

The juice in the kit has been sterilized already and probably contained potassium metabisulfite when prepared. It would probably be OK to make it up. If it was mine, I would add 1/8 teaspoon potassium metabisulfite at the beginning and prepare as per directions- except after adding the k-meta, give it 24 hours before adding the yeast. This is routinely done for fresh grape and fruit wines to kill wild yeasts and bacteria.

After the k-meta addition, finish the kit as per directions. I hope it turns out OK, but remember first give the dealer a call.

Thanks to both of you.

I did speak to George when I received it and he quickly sent me a replacement, which I will be preparing nowas well (separately, of course).
The torn juice bag had soaked the box during shipping and there was somemold on the inside of the box when received(that was strike one). But the juice seemed to be ok, and George suggested making it anyway. I carefully wiped everything down and put it into a sanitized bucket with the lid tight,since I couldn't get to it right away. When I opened it up, I found the unwanted microbial visitors mentioned in my first posting (that was strike two).

I took your advice and put the juice in a primary fermenter last nightwith 1/8 tsp kmeta. I tasted it as well and it tastes ok (the juice, not the kmeta). I'll cross my fingers and start fermentation tonight.

I thought this might be a good batch to experiment with (particularly since I have the replacement batch to prepare simultaneously). What do you think? Any suggestions for some good variations? Keep in mind that I am a novice, although maybe a slightly obsessive one.

Also, considering its history so far, is there anything I should be looking out for, or testing, with this port as it progresses, to give it the best chance of avoiding a third strike?

I would make it stricktly to the directions just like the replacement. That way you have something to compare it to and won't be constantly worrying if there is something wrong with it. Good luck and let us know how it progresses.

I wouldnt change a thing as this kit is awesome as is although maybe you can fortify 1 if you want.

Just an update here.

My fermentations went well. Both the Bodega in question and its replacement seem to be fine. They are now bulk aging (separately). I tasted each again at the last racking and am quite pleased. They taste the same and the batch in question shows no signs of any unwelcome scents or sights.

Cross your fingers.

You know, if both batches come to fruition, I'm going to have more Port than I know what to do with. This is a problem I can live with.

I just had a peach ice wine with almost the same problem but there was no mold, it was just missing about 1/2 a gallon so I compensated with 8 Niagara frozen concentrates and some sugar and received the replacement kit and made them side by side and they tasted exactly the same at that point so i mixed them together. I will sure have lots of an awesome wine!

Latest posts

Back