mold on corks

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

orf

Junior
Reaction score
my basement is damp and I see some whitish mold on the corks is this something I should be worried about or just was it off and open. haven't been around lately but thanks in advance and for all the help in the past.

Orf, mold on the outside is not too much of a problem. If you have some k-meta, spritz the mold and wipe it off. Mold is not just from moisture. It needs something organic to feed upon so be sure that your corks are free of any wine when you bottle.

What type of corks are they ?
I would imagine if they are porous that they could also have mold within the cork as well.
How many corks are we talking about ?
Is it worth trying to save the corks ?

Revised - I thought you had corks that were not already in the bottle yet

another solution that I do is wax the tops of the corks, I use the top seal only method (push cork down about 1/4'' or so and fill till level)

Last edited:
With Rocky on this, I have a wet basement also. I just wipe them off as I get them out to chill or gift wrap.

thanks as always for the quick responces. I didn't think it would be a problem.orf...

Also with rocky on this..

Back in the day, corkscrews came with built in brushes just for the removal of mold before opening. It is normal to have some mold given the wine should be storred in the "cool and damp'.

^^^ Now THAT is kewl. ^^^

I would hate to grab that by mistake as my shaving cream brush back in the day, though. Ouch!

Latest posts

Back