Mosti Mondiale MM Amarone Question

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jsmahoney

Reaction score
OK! I now have my hydrometers, ordered an extra one just in case I get the dropsies! Thanks George for the quick shipment, your the greatest!

Racking the Amarone wine, it seems to me that when it comes time to top it, (24 hours from now)it's going to take at least two bottles of another wine. Would or could I rack it into a five gallon carboy instead of adding additional wine to top off? What you see in this picture is all the wine racked. I'm thinking I lost some liquid when it overflowed during fermentation.
Thanks for all your help!

20070106_100646_IMG_0122_Small.JPG

Yes, you can rack it to a 5 gallon if you have one. You can rack it to 5 one gallon jugs or a 3 gallon and 2 one gallon, or.......
smiley36.gif

Seriously, as long as it is topped up and an airlock fits in place when the time comes to top upyou can use about any variety of size you wish. I will say the bigger the better such as the 5 gallon to allow the wine to age evenly. The 6 gallon thing is only truly important when first re-hydrating the must to get it into balance.

Smurfe
smiley1.gif

I'd rack it down to a 5 gallon. That way, you can keep the Amarone pure. I would not want to buy 2-3 $40+ bottles of Amarone to top this one up! Use a 5 gallon and 1 1.5L bottle. Use the rest as an extended taster.

Thanks! I just don't want to mess this one up! It smells so good! 5 gallon it is.
smiley16.gif

i'm very new to this and was wondering if u always lose that much every time or was it an accident. what size bucket did u start out with?

I believe she started out with 6 gallons of juice since that is what normally comes with that kit. You would normally do this in a 7.9 gallon bucket to be safe. I believe she used a smaller one at the time since she was jsut beginning and itfoamed over during a vigorous primary ferment, causin the loss. If you use the 7.9 gallon bucket, you should normally get a fairly full 6 gallon carboy and avoid the need for large toppings.

After checking back on the original thread....The bucket was a 7.9 gallon but the fermentation was very vigorous and produced lots of foam and also happened to me once but not as bad. These have been isolated incidents and using a 7.9 gallon fermenter will work fine.

Latest posts

Back