Mosti Mondiale Meglioli Pinot Noir

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

otto6183

Reaction score
I just racked my first Meglioli Pinot Noir to secondary and had an interesting observation. I included the Allgrape pack and utilized my trusty 10 Primary fermenter. The primary fermentation, addition of the yeast nutrient, and fermentation to about ~1.005 was non-eventful other than the thrice daily mashing down the Allgrape pack. Everything went beautifully, BUT, there was absolutely NO FOAMING whatsoever! I was expecting all sort of foaming, based upon my experience with many, many Cellar Craft Showcase kits.

I was wondering if anyone starting any of the other Meglioli kits has had this same experience. Based upon this experience, I am sorely tempted to utilize my 7.9 gallon primary fermenter at least for additional Pinot Noirs and possible double up on everything.

Its not unusual, depending on the yeast used to not having any foaming Otto. Good to seeya backagain too

I think most of us that use 7.9 g buckets wish we had a 10 g for added safety. Seem to me every kit is a little different, hard to predict each one will act the same.

That, I suppose, is the strange part, I've used the same yeast, 'Lalvin EC-1118', in every one. For lack of any other explanation, I was thinking/hoping that it was just the higher quality products. We shall see, I'm going to start another Meglioli this weekend. And thanks, Waldo, it is good to be back.

randoneur said:
I think most of us that use 7.9 g buckets wish we had a 10 g for added safety. Seem to me every kit is a little different, hard to predict each one will act the same.

And even the same kit will ferment differently. I'm glad I have my 10 gallon fermenter and find I use it most of the time even when only making a 3 gallon batch. I would rather use the larger fermenter then take a chance of my wine overflowing.

My MM Meg Barolo was the most active fermentor I have seen to date. I say active because of all the swirling and bubbling and such, but unlike other kits, there was no foaming at all.

I just finished fining my MM Meg Pinot Noir and naturally tasted it. I realize it has a long ways to go before actually being drinkable, but frankly, I was appalled at the lack of color and body. It doesn't even come close to the MM Meg Amarone I currently have in secondary. I know this is not a fair comparison, but I was expecting infinitely more.

Has anyone else had these observations?

On another note, there was no foaming of the Meg Amarone either.

I have never done a Meglioli but do know that a Pinot is a very light bodiless wine and was very surprised to even see them include a grape pack in a wine such as this. Every pinot I have ever had has been like this and its 1 reason I dont have any in my cellar. I am judging this wine by about 12 commercial bottles from different Vintners. I am by no means an authority on commercial wines and must also admit I dont go buying $40 bottles of wine either so take that to heart before you read into what Ive written. If I make a red wine I dont make table wines and I consider Pinot Noir a light drinking wine. Like Waldo said though Im glad to see you back Otto!

I agree with Wade on this. Pinot Noir is a very light colored wine and is usually fairly low ABV. It is a good early abd easy drinking wine. It just doesn't compare to a good full bodied Amarone. That's not to say it is bad, it is like comparing koolaide to a nice glass of full strength grape juice.

I think the MM grape packs are basically generic, Wade, and thanks for the kind words. I really jumped into the Megs this year after making mostly CC Showcase wines the last couple of years. It will be interesting to see how the Meg Amarone w/grape pack compares to the aforementioned variety. I think I will start a Barolo next, I know that's one of Georges favorites and the MM Masters Barolo is really quite good......after about 3 years aging....:)

I have made the MM AJ Pinot as well as the MM Renaissance Chilean Pinot. So far the AJ Pinot has been a disappointment. The Chilean was leaps better at bottling but have not opened even a split yet so perhaps its time.

There could be a reason there are not many PN kits out there.....

My all juice pinot is 2 years and 4 months old and is starting to taste pretty good. Took a long time.

So there is hope! Mine is only 15 mo old.......

Pinot should not take 28 mo to drink..........
smiley35.gif

Otto, I think all the grape packs would be pretty generic. With the MM Meg. and Masters its the quality of the juice you are paying for and the grape pack just adds a little bit more to it. If they are Pinot grape skins with the kit it would be like adding a table spoon of Cab skins to a 6 gallon batch of Cab to add body! You just need a lot more of something that weak. Then again I dont think they wanted to push this beyond what they thought it should be.

I made Meglioli pinot noir in Dec 2011 and bulk age it until Nov 2013.

Opened two bottles during last weekend dinner and they turned out great.

As mentioned in previous posts, color and body are light, on the low side of abv (mine is around 11%) and easy drinking.

I also have several other meglioli from the same year and so far this one is the most ready to drink (although it will definitely be better with a few more years of bottle aging)

IMG_1393.jpg

Last edited:
What type of aromas are you getting from the wine?

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Wine Making mobile app

Interesting takes on this kit. I am getting this kit soon and am wondering if anyone has some tweaks to this kit? typically I do not tweak kits but it sounds like this one might need a little help. I am looking forward to doing this kit since up to now I have only done WE kits and home fruit wines.

I just racked my eclipse Pinot noir. During secondary I added -lbs of blackberries and rouge soft tannins. I took a taste and I was very happy. Great aroma and nice mouthfeel. I'm really impressed so far.

Sent from my iPhone using Wine Making

These kit are 100 percent juice, I made the meg amarone 15 mon. Ago. I tasted it because I was adding so2. Emergent aroma and bouquet is quite wonderful. I did no tweaks. I would recommend you don't. These kits are some of the best on the market when it comes to quality. They take awhile to come around. You make them bulk age them for a year or so. You bottle and wait about 2 years before trying them. That should be about 3 years. Cheers

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Wine Making mobile app

Latest posts

Back