WineXpert Classic Pinot Noir batch is not percolating through the airlock ... Stuck?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vezePilot

Supporting Members
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I haven't made wine for several months, and started a Kit of Pinot Noir. I have made this type a few times, and the WE Cab Sauv several times, as well as many years of brewing beer. This is the first time that nothing is happening in the fermenter. It's been several days now. I opened the lid briefly, saw the wine is bubbling a little and smells just fine for this stage.

It percolated through the airlock just fine for about a day, but not anymore. Should I use another yeast for restarting?

Take a hydrometer/refractometer reading and compare to your last reading. If not, check lock/bung/lid for seal. Check 'expir' date on yeast, for a clue if its old. I generally over pitch (15 g total for 6 gal batches), use GoFerm, do SNA at 1,2,3 and 5-7 days, and use Lalvin 5g dry packs.

Started May 24th, the initial S.G. was 1.095. Work area temp ranged between 62 and 70 deg F; Fermenter itself was 71 to 78 deg F.
Today May 31st the S.G. is 0.997 maybe 0.996. Lid and Airlock seem as tight as ever. Completed fermenting in less than 48 hours ???

Thanks, SDO for advice!

Why do they ship WE red wine kits (Cab, Pinot Noir) with EC-1118? The WineMakers Handbook indicates that strain is not appropriate at all. The handbook says I should be using Persy, RC212 or 3001.

I am considering driving up within the hour to my local brew/wine supply store to purchase one of these, and re-start. He has RC212 in stock, for sure.

edit: So Three(!) packets of the Lalvin (maybe persy) for 6 gal? That actually sounds great, although I would resist doing that if it were a batch of beer ...
And it makes driving up there a little more worth it. Expiri date of 07 2024 on the Lalvin EC-1118 packet that was used. I'll check on getting that GoFerm.

Last edited:
Why do they ship WE red wine kits (Cab, Pinot Noir) with EC-1118?
Because EC-1118 is the most foolproof yeast for wine. It helps beginners with no experienced help get a good result every time.

Note that any wine yeast is appropriate for any grape/ fruit. Every one on the market will get the job done. The question is if the yeast is ideal for the job, and for the purposes of kits, EC-1118 is a smart choice for kit vendors to choose. Which puts it on you to swap a different strain in, should you choose to.

I am considering driving up within the hour to my local brew/wine supply store to purchase one of these, and re-start.
Do you mean restarting your current kit? Based upon the SG readings you reported, it's done. Adding additional yeast is a waste of yeast.

If you mean prepping for the next one, then yeah, get different strains.

So it does seem that this Pinot Noir is done. This morning the hydrometer indicated an S.G. of 0.990. I racked it off into a Carboy, added the sulphite/sorbate and agitated it for the full ten minutes. I'll try to keep the area warm enough.

Thanks again for all advice!

I have not had much trouble brewing beer or making wine since 2012, so that is why I become concerned when something doesn't go exactly according to plan. But this batch of WE Classic Pinot Noir seems to be just fine. It's clear, tastes okay, and I bottled it yesterday. If I actually knew something about the differences in wine, and the good from the bad, perhaps I could describe it better.

PinotNoirJun23.jpeg

So it does seem that this Pinot Noir is done. This morning the hydrometer indicated an S.G. of 0.990. I racked it off into a Carboy, added the sulphite/sorbate and agitated it for the full ten minutes. I'll try to keep the area warm enough.

Thanks again for all advice!
Once the yeast has stopped you don't need to keep the wine warm cooler is ok and better than warm.

If I actually knew something about the differences in wine, and the good from the bad, perhaps I could describe it better.
Your mission, should you choose to accept it, is to drink more wine to learn the differences.

I say that tongue-in-cheek, but it's literally true. Lookup ratings on wines available to you locally, buy a few bottles, and start tasting. Also record your impressions of your own wines. You don't need to go bonkers on this, just pay attention to what you like and don't like.

Regarding your own wines -- if YOU are happy, no one else's opinions matter.

I recently did a WineXpert Pinot Noir Reserve- Chile, 1st stage was done in a week, left it for the recommended two. I love gutsy earthy pinot's and this ain't it, after a bit of experimentation added a black tea bag into a bottle for 2 hours, decantered and the flavor is very promising...

Latest posts

Back