Mead

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

John Prince

Reaction score
Mine sucks. I've never tasted any other mead. I guess I could drink a glass but I would have to choke it down. I followed the recipe. It's only 10 months old. I guess my question is, does all mead suck? Do you back sweeten mead?

my mead is great! I also dont finnish dry, i start with 11k of honey and 71-b yast

Would depend on your recipe, if you want to get nit-picky...

But no, meads definitely dont suck :)

But sounds like your mead is young yet - and meads take longer than wines, going through some pretty terrible phases

I recently tasted a mead that was "infused" with a very low amount of citrus. The mead its self was very similar to a wine, the citrus gave it a mild acidic taste, but it did not suck.

I have to agree, it depends on the recipe, is it a straight mead, or is it a Melomel (fruit added)?
You can absolutely back sweeten, when not take a glass or two and add honey or sugar, a little at a time and see if this is more palatable to you.

The one thing I try to keep in mind is that we all do not have the same taste and preferences, the great part about making our own wine/mead/Melomel/cider/beer is that we can tailor it to our own tastes.
Experiment and have fun!

I made a straight mead that I think tastes mediciney. My son-in-law thinks it tastes great. I mixed a bit of skeeter pee with it and it tastes really good. Mabe a bit of sugar, maybe a blend, mite make it more palatible for you. Good luck with it, Arne.

What is the recipe? Put it away for a year and then tell us if it still sucks. Meads also might just not be for you? CC

Mine sucks. I've never tasted any other mead. I guess I could drink a glass but I would have to choke it down. I followed the recipe. It's only 10 months old. I guess my question is, does all mead suck? Do you back sweeten mead?

I didn't like my first attempt at mead. I made a dry one following the instructions from Ken Schramm's book. Then added a little bit of honey before bottling. That was over a year ago and it's still awful. Smells bad and tastes bad. I think it's the medicinal taste. It's possible the orange blossom honey just wasn't any good. We didn't think it tasted that great with food.

My second mead was JOAM with a clover honey. This one's a keeper. Great at 8 months. It's a slow sipper that reminded a few people of a brandy. It's a shame that gallon recipe only ends up with 4 bottles. I'll be making this again.

I used orange juice, 5 oranges, 2 lemons, 3 sticks of cinnamon, 5 cloves, 5 pinches of nutmeg, 5 pinttches of all spice and 125 raisins.

I fermented to dry.

2 packs of 71b-1122 yeast.

This was the recipe. I had planned on 3 years of bulk aging.

I haven't used Kmeta during bulk aging. I do use argon gas.

Maybe it's the recipe?

lot of flavors in this one. Nothing to loss by aging it out and see how it fusses. I would not make anything with that much going on. I also dont much care for all spice in anything. The medicine taste can age out. My last cherry one tasted like cough syrup at one year but at 2 was wonderfulmay have to go get a bottle and see what an other year has done for it

I believe the soninlaw likes the mead. I got a half gallon of home grown honey for Christmas from him. Looks like I'm going back in the mead business. Think I'll go with some kind of fruit with this, tho. Sometime after happy New Year will have to get it started. Arne.

Latest posts

Back