Marquette starting veraison

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Brix 21.8 today, need them to hang about 2 more weeks, if they hold up. Saw just 2 yellow jackets today. Wonder how long before they tell all their friends....

I’ll be putting my owl out in a couple weeks. My Brix is at 14, I have a lot of tiny green berries in the clusters that will never ripen so I’ve been tediously picking them out. Hoping that will help the rest to ripen.

So the important thing is to move them around about once a week or so. I have 4 of these guys for ~30 vines. 2 Hawks and 2 Owls and they seem to work great. Especially this year with the rain I am seeing zero pressure from birds. We have Robins in the Spring but by this time of year they have migrated somewhere else and the only other bird that will hit them and stays around year round is the Spotted Towhee.

1660934579735.jpeg

How well does he work, and for how many years in a row? Would LOVE that alternative!

At almost 24 brix and pH 3.29. I'd like another week of hang time, but the bees are starting become a problem. I have drape netting, but not enough and no time to order more. I see Orchard Valley Supply sells "side" "fruiting zone" bee netting. In their pictures it's still open at the top and the bottom. How well could that work? I ask because if I cut mine lengthwise I have enough and it would drape over the fruiting zone, but not close at the bottom, so I did not give it any more thought....until I saw their product. If it would never work, I don't want to ruin my netting for nothing....

Ohio Marquette at 25 brix and 3.29 pH yesterday. Planned for Thursday harvest, but then got a surprise storm that dumped over 1/2 inch of rain yesterday (Monday). Light rain and cloudy Tuesday morning then clearing second half of the day. Dry and sunny Wednesday. We will see if I lost some sugar, and how much when I test Wednesday before deciding. Can delay until Saturday and the weather until then looks clear and sunny. I really don't have any experience with how that rain may impact us, so this will be a learning moment. Predictions?

Same question for me here in Norhwest PA. I am planning on Wednesday harvest but wondering what impact 2 days of rain will have. Im thinking if the grapes take on water it hurts sugar level but may help bring down acid? thoughts? As of yesterday I was at 22 brix but very concerned about yellow jacket damage. I haven't checked pH/TA in a couple of weeks So don’t know where I stand now. The last two harvests I have kept them on the vines as long as I dare to bring pH up more so than worry about sugar. Seems like I get to 20 or so brix and stall out so I chaptalize prior to kicking off fermentation.

Mine were at 22-24 brix last Thursday. They have to hang awhile longer due to my broken leg (2 weeks ago) and surgery today.

I’m learning patience and my son learned to spray. My husband rigged up a trailer and hauled me in the the vineyard for inspection. He knows how to harvest so we are soldiering on!

Same question for me here in Norhwest PA. I am planning on Wednesday harvest but wondering what impact 2 days of rain will have. Im thinking if the grapes take on water it hurts sugar level but may help bring down acid? thoughts? As of yesterday I was at 22 brix but very concerned about yellow jacket damage. I haven't checked pH/TA in a couple of weeks So don’t know where I stand now. The last two harvests I have kept them on the vines as long as I dare to bring pH up more so than worry about sugar. Seems like I get to 20 or so brix and stall out so I chaptalize prior to kicking off fermentation.
You might try poisoning the wasps there are some good videos on YouTube

Mine were at 22-24 brix last Thursday. They have to hang awhile longer due to my broken leg (2 weeks ago) and surgery today.

I’m learning patience and my son learned to spray. My husband rigged up a trailer and hauled me in the the vineyard for inspection. He knows how to harvest so we are soldiering on!
Yikes 😮. Hoping for a quick recovery… those vines aren’t going to manage themselves! I’m glad you have a good support team.

Thank you! I’ll heal and it is a good time to teach others how to care for my vines.

I’ve been thinking of you and your wife. My brother in law had stem cell transplant for multiple myeloma in 2006. So I understand the challenges you both are facing. You both are in my prayers.

Ohio Marquette at 25 brix and 3.29 pH yesterday. Planned for Thursday harvest, but then got a surprise storm that dumped over 1/2 inch of rain yesterday (Monday). Light rain and cloudy Tuesday morning then clearing second half of the day. Dry and sunny Wednesday. We will see if I lost some sugar, and how much when I test Wednesday before deciding. Can delay until Saturday and the weather until then looks clear and sunny. I really don't have any experience with how that rain may impact us, so this will be a learning moment. Predictions?
Harvested the portion not covered by bee nets due to damage showing, went from 25 Brix to 24 Brix after rain, but I’ll take that. The netted half of the vineyard will hang a few extra days since it still holding up.

I harvested mine yesterday. I ended up at 25 brix so the rain didn’t seem to affect them. pH at 3.26 and TA at 105. In the past I’ve ameliorated prior fermentation to get the acid down but this year I’ll try to manage through it

Mine were only 21 today. I'm having a lot of bird and bee pressure along with disease causing a lot of mummification of the berries. So I decided it was time to harvest. 13 vines yielded around 45 lbs after stems removed. My Merachal Foch though not ripe either only attaining 19 Brix was getting beaten up by the wasps too. So, I harvested them. 10 vines yielded around 40 lbs after the stems were removed. I wish I could have had them hang longer but they were starting to look rough. My Seyval Blanc grapes look amazing. Birds trying to get them too. Going to harvest them Friday.

Back