Marquette veraison

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I’m in a different part of the country, but I’m probably looking to harvest my Marquette in about a week or so. I was at 22 Brix and pH 2.9 last weekend. Mine’s been pretty good this year, no real disease issues as we’ve had an unusually dry summer. Veraison was very uneven, with some clusters completing it before others had started. I’m not sure if it’s because of the way I pruned in late spring or the dry weather or what.
A60F9E89-1B61-4DC5-8B70-DBA7567A97C7.jpeg593F0D4E-D3E1-41D2-BB38-C4F2543EC8D6.jpeg

I’m in a different part of the country, but I’m probably looking to harvest my Marquette in about a week or so. I was at 22 Brix and pH 2.9 last weekend. Mine’s been pretty good this year, no real disease issues as we’ve had an unusually dry summer. Veraison was very uneven, with some clusters completing it before others had started. I’m not sure if it’s because of the way I pruned in late spring or the dry weather or what.
Are you targeting a specific pH, brix, or a combination of the two?

Are you targeting a specific pH, brix, or a combination of the two?
I’m targeting a pH of at least 3.3, but would also like to hit the recommended 2500 GDD this year as I fell short the last two years (once due to impatience and once to raccoons). I think we’ll be close to that here next weekend.

How did you deal with the trash pandas
For my serious, large racoons, I bought taller Poultry netting from Premier One PoultryNet® Plus 12/48/3 Electric Netting for Backyard Chickens and Pasture Grazing.

It kept them out last year. I had MANY pictures on the trail camera showing the racoon outside the fence and the ripe grapes on the inside. I also tacked down the netting in a few high racoon traffic spots with plastic pegs https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B09BB7NPFL/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o09_s00?ie=UTF8&th=1.

The fencing was expensive but it has also (generally) turned deer, fox, bear and turkey. I net too but nets don't stop racoons or bears.

Latest posts

Back