My first glass from my first harvest!

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just reflecting on the trip so far as I enjoy serial number 001. Thanks to many on this site for the information gleaned.

I am drinking a Marquette that I made from grapes that I grew. I think that is awesome. Is it good? Not great to be sure, but memorable...absolutely!

Rob
Congratulations, Rob! You should be very proud.

Just reflecting on the trip so far as I enjoy serial number 001. Thanks to many on this site for the information gleaned.

I am drinking a Marquette that I made from grapes that I grew. I think that is awesome. Is it good? Not great to be sure, but memorable...absolutely!

Rob
Congratulations 🎉 I’m two years behind you and I Can. Not . Wait to open that first bottle from my own vineyard!

My third Marquette vintage was pretty good but too much acid as the MLF didn’t take. Last year’s 2022 turned out very good as the MLF completed, my 2019 was much better after two years, unfortunately i haven’t had to enough to age for more than two years. I guess I’m saying let some age for a couple years you’ll be happy, as they age Marquette develops some nice complexity.

drinking a Marquette that I made from grapes that I grew. I think that is awesome. Is it good? Not great to be sure, but memorable...absolutely!
Congratulations, to get this far is a major step. ,,, I am wondering if your Marquette has what I call “northern hybrid flavor”, sort of flinty. Your in Canada so a taste test isn’t practical.
One guess is the tannins aren’t correct, ,, ie we could create a more Vinifera like/ less flinty flavor by adding an astringent tannin (smooth tannin using apple cider language). ,,, ie add Vinifera grape tannin or something more smooth from the Scott Lab tannins tool kit.

Reading another thread @salcoco suggests 4oz of elderberry per ? Liters. My available tools I would try steeping with 2 to 5% of a smooth tannin crab apple.

Last edited:
Well, I made every mistake in the book last year when harvesting/fermenting. We were renovating another property at that time so I picked it too late, did not correct acid, left it too late in the primary, did not MLF, etc.

Paying attention this year so it should be better.

I will add tannin. That needs more research.

But, yeah, thanks all for the kind words. It IS a rewarding hobby!

"From earth to bottle"...I like it. Can I use that?

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back