marbles

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jerry

Reaction score
I am looking for marbles to top off with instead of adding water. Will any marbles work? Most I find are made in China, and I worry they may not be safe .

I have the same fear. Best place I have found them is from old collections (i.e. American made) on eBay. They are usually from the '50's and '60's and are good old American glass. There is a guy in West Virginia that sells a ton of marbles.

Hi Jerry. While I have never used marbles, I have heard that it takes a whole ____load of marbles to displace the equivalent of one, 750ml bottle. Many members will top off with a similar wine or rack to a smaller vessel. Not many, if any, use water.

Pet supply stores most likely have them to add to aquariums and those would be very safe to use.

Jerry,

As Flem points out, the last thing you want to add is water. Depending on the wine you are making, it could be expensive to top off with a like kind, such as Amarone. The reasons that I like marbles is that they are a. reusable, b. relatively inexpensive and c. your wine remains "your wine." Call me a Purist.

I did not think of pet suppliers. I know you can get them at Craft Stores like "Hobby Lobby" or "Michaels." You may have others in your area, but that is what is around here. Not sure of the pricing at these establishments nor the country of manufacture. That is why I try to buy vintage marbles on eBay.

Micheals and hobby lobby's are usually made in China... I doubt you could find American made there.
smiley19.gif

Thanks, CW. I did not know that but I am not surprised with all the "inexpensive" stuff they sell. I just bought a lot of 350 American made glass marbles on eBay. That should hold me for now.

Easiest way is to rack to a smaller container. You can get glass containers from a health food store in quart size, & 3/4 of a gallon size. You'll need to drink the juice or use it for more wine.
Gallon & 1/2 gallon containers can be purchased from George as well as the bungs for the other containers and wine bottles work as well. I keep a variety of sizes around so topping off is not necessary.

There is more than one way to accomplish the objective. Everyone has to decide for herself or himself what works best and what is easiest. I had been doing it as vcasey suggests but I found that I was always running out of smaller size jugs, airlocks and bungs. When I did have enough of these things, I had small containers all over the place. I believe the marbles have another benefit, though, and that is the sediment falls down between the marbles andwhen I did a second racking I got more wine.

In any case, I think we have beaten this subject to death and it comes down to personal preference.

Back