Making Half Kits

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AFHokie

Junior
Reaction score
Hey everyone,
I'm brand new here, this is my first post. I am not, however, new to using forums and I completely understand the search function. I tried all different phrases and found nothing about my question.

I've been looking at wine-making kits for a little bit but the big problem is that they all seem to be the standard 6-gallon/30 bottle size. My wife does not drink wine and even with my wine drinking friends 30 bottles would be a bit of overkill. Does anyone make smaller kits and/or can the larger kits be split in half and saved for later use? I know the amount of work is the same and it's less practical, but that is not really of too much concern to me. I'd rather expend the same effort with half-yield and ensure all the wine is actually consumed before it's past its prime.

I'm looking for standard varietal type grape wines, not fruit wine or wine cooler type kits.

If there are threads on this I'd be more than happy to read them, I just couldn't find any by using search.

Thanks!
Ken

Ken, first of all welcome to the forum. I am not aware of any smaller kits but I think there may be smome off brand ones somewhere. I know this is not what you want to hear but really you should make the whole thing as the wine only gets better as it ages. Also many of us give it away as gifts or thank you's and it just never really seems to last as long as we think it would.

I have to agree with what Dan said, I would make the entire kit. 30 Bottles seems like alot but given the fact that you will likely gift a fair amount of it, at least your first batch, and the fact that you can store it for years with improved taste, it really isn't all that much. Once you make a kit, you'll be looking for your next. It's an addiction.

Welcome to the forum.

Thanks guys,
I was under the impression that the kit wines don't age as well, it sounds like that is not the case. Of course, as with all things, there are varying qualities available. The couple of kits I looked at (don't remember which ones specifically) said they should be drank within 1 year (red) or 6 months (white). Perhpas these were lower quality kits?

The way I understand it, as a general rule, is that the cheaper, more concentrated kits will reach their peak sooner while the more expensive, less concentrated kits will reach their peak later.

For example a red wine kit that has 6L of juice that you need to add 17L of water to may peak at 6 months. But an 18L red wine kit that only requires 5L of water may continue to improve for a couple of years.

Ken,
Wow! You are about to burst into a new world, I can tell you're pumped. Make a 6-gallon kit. They last a really long time. If you make a low-end kit (one that says 4 or 5 weeks to make), it'll be good for at least 1 1/2 years. If you make a bigger, more expensive kit, it could be a year or so before it's even drinkable.

I don't think you said whether you prefer reds or whites or like a bit of both, but reds in particular benefit from a long time in the bottle. You don't need to worry about them "lasting." A bigger worry is having something to drink while you let your high-end kits age. That's where the 4-week kits come in.

Jim

Dude, people here make 200gal per year.

You give some away, use some for cooking, (sauces, wine bread, etc), save some for topping off your next batch.

I bottled 3gal of my 6gal kit, and the 3gal I bottled are almost gone.

If its a red wine it will easily last 2 years before its past its prime.

I agree with above posts. Make all 6 gallons and let the rest age gracefully. Just use good #9 x 1.75 corks and it will be good for years. I have a few of the mist kits which are low alc like a wine cooler that are actually 3 years old and although they are past their prime they are still good and people keep asking for them so its not just me. I say this because these are the cheapest kits and lowest alc. Most of the mist kits I make now I bump the abv up to around 10.5 but are still a few that are the lower ones as I stated.

Ken,
...I don't think you said whether you prefer reds or whites or like a bit of both...

I like both. All depends on what I'm eating of course. I would probably make a white since that is more commonly drank by my friends that I would end up gifting to. Probably a Riesling, very versatile as far as pairing goes and we make a good deal of asian food at home.

Thank everyone for the great replies. Good to know that they can stand a bit of bottle age on them. I suppose the only real hesitation I have with the whole idea is the fact that I'm in the military (if my screen name didn't give it away) which means I will probably be moving before higher quality wine will have time to age. Right now I'm in Baghdad, should be home early May, and then maybe a year and a half or so before it's time to move on. If I start making some as soon as I get home, that will leave just over a year to consume/gift my wine so I don't have to worry about transporting it and ruining it. Considering that it might be best to just be happy with bought wine and if I still have the desire start making my own once we settle at our new home.

I just really like the idea of being able to pour a bottle and think "I made this wine."

I like both. All depends on what I'm eating of course. I would probably make a white since that is more commonly drank by my friends that I would end up gifting to. Probably a Riesling, very versatile as far as pairing goes and we make a good deal of asian food at home.

Thank everyone for the great replies. Good to know that they can stand a bit of bottle age on them. I suppose the only real hesitation I have with the whole idea is the fact that I'm in the military (if my screen name didn't give it away) which means I will probably be moving before higher quality wine will have time to age. Right now I'm in Baghdad, should be home early May, and then maybe a year and a half or so before it's time to move on. If I start making some as soon as I get home, that will leave just over a year to consume/gift my wine so I don't have to worry about transporting it and ruining it. Considering that it might be best to just be happy with bought wine and if I still have the desire start making my own once we settle at our new home.

I just really like the idea of being able to pour a bottle and think "I made this wine."

Have you considered making country fruit wines? They don't come in kits and don't have fancy names but they make some great tasting wines. Nice thing is you can make them in 1 gallon batches so you don't have that much to lose when Uncle Sugar moves you along.

And a glass gallon jug with a nice label on it makes a great gift to a good friend; filled with wine of course. :db

Country wines are generally ready to drink in 13 weeks and best consumed in 6 to 9 months after being ready to drink. Head on over to the recipes section and pick out one made with Welcn's frozen grape concentrate. That one's fairly straight forward and easy to do.

Have you considered making country fruit wines? They don't come in kits and don't have fancy names but they make some great tasting wines. Nice thing is you can make them in 1 gallon batches so you don't have that much to lose when Uncle Sugar moves you along.

And a glass gallon jug with a nice label on it makes a great gift to a good friend; filled with wine of course. :db

Country wines are generally ready to drink in 13 weeks and best consumed in 6 to 9 months after being ready to drink. Head on over to the recipes section and pick out one made with Welcn's frozen grape concentrate. That one's fairly straight forward and easy to do.

I hadn't really thought about it, but maybe I will, that does seem like a more manageable way to go, at least until I know I have some more time to play with.

Along with the country wines would be any of the Welches or Dole fruit juice recipes. If you're looking for a gallon at a time these would do the trick.

The convenience of a kit is that all the ingredients are prepackaged and pre measured. I've made both kits and batches from store bought juices - both have turned out well.

And THANKS! for your service, I pray you make it home safely. Your sacrifice doesn't go unappreciated by us sitting here comfortably in our homes.

Hi,
Thanks so much for your service!!!!

My wife and I have found that making the wine is really a neat hobby, and friend are always willing to help analyze a batch. It goes really quick.

Latest posts

Back