Mailing wine?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LanMan

Reaction score
I have a friend in another state and we wast to 'swap wines'.
What would be the best way to go about it?

I have a friend in another state and we wast to 'swap wines'.
What would be the best way to go about it?

Use UPS or Fedex, I have always had luck with UPS, do not say that it is wine, actually they shouldn't ask, I never had UPS ask me what was in the package. wrap it up real good so there is movement.

So go to a UPS store, buy a box&bubble wrap, go home and fill said box and return to UPS to ship?

Wrap bottles carefully with plenty of cushion. Keep all glass away from the box surfaces. Be sure to line your box with a good plastic bag or two so that if you do accidentally end up with a broken bottle or a bottle with a popped cork, the liquid won't leak out of the box and damage other shipments. A box that is leaking an unknown liquid can cause quite a stir in the shipping system. You could get a call to identify the contents and explain why you're shipping undeclared alcohol.

I use a locally owned ship it place. They ALWAYS ask what is being shipped. So YMMV there. I always declare it as "steak marinade".

Just successfully sent a package this week of "steak marinade" :db

Just a question. If a bottle of wine is put on an aircraft in an unpressurized cargo area will it not uncork?

I believe most commercial aircraft cargo areas are pressurized. At least, according to my pilot son.

Just a question. If a bottle of wine is put on an aircraft in an unpressurized cargo area will it not uncork?

Generally, you do run the risk of a popped cork with any shipment unless you've done a really good job of degassing. Before I started vacuum degassing my wine, I used the methods instructed in a kit to degas. I would degas through stirring both by hand and with a drill device; I thought I was doing a good job because I stirred longer than the instructions suggest. Bottles were corked and stored for over a year. I then had to transport the wine about 1000 miles. I boxed the bottles and transported them standing up. About half the bottles pushed their corks about half way out the bottle. My guess is that the combination of gas and vibration from driving created pressure and it pushed the corks up. Once the corks were about half way out, I presume that the CO2 was able to escape past the cork because no bottles completely popped a cork. Had I transported the bottles in a sideways position, the gas wouldn't have been able to escape and the pressurized wine may have pushed the corks all the way out. I didn't have shrink caps on my bottles; they may help keep a cork from pushing. Just something to consider.

I believe most commercial aircraft cargo areas are pressuri:cwzed. At least, according to my pilot son.

Yeah, what flem said....I can't think of a single airliner that doesn't pressurize the cargo area. Even ups and fedex. Now some planes are better than others so minnesotamaker is right about some pressure issues. Some planes can have as high as an 8000ft cabin altitude which would be the same as flying at 8000ft unpressurized so like minnesotamaker said, residual gas could cause problems but highly unlikely. Flem, I'd be interested in hearing what your son's planes cabin altitude usually is.

Just a little trick I have used. I have a vacuum packer for food. I put the wine bottles in some of the vac. plastic and vac. pack em. if they would happen to leak, the liquid should stay in the bag. Arne.

Latest posts

Back