LuvaBella get together

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I only picked up a Barbera, but I'll be picking up a Carmenere, Malbec, Cabernet Sauvignon, Syrah, Pinot Noir, Sauvignon Blanc and a Muscat the end of the month from Consumers Produce.

I came home last night and Kmeta'd the Barbera. This am I made a nice healthy starter with RC212 and pitched that about an hour ago. Will give it a few good stirs this afternoon.

Looking forward to sampling all the wines we received yesterday. We had some of Al's Blackberry last night, good flavor and body. Will keep you all posted as to the others.

Last edited:
Doug:
One of the buckets I picked up was also a Barbera, Do you happen to know what the yeast these buckets already have? I see you prefer the 212 over whatever is in the bucket, any reason?? Will probably open my buckets tomorrow to stir. Have to look for my instructions for the Chilean buckets to make sure I don't mess up........ Also have to search my recipes for the Black Currant as Shoebiedoo wants to know how it was made.

Al

Doug:
One of the buckets I picked up was also a Barbera, Do you happen to know what the yeast these buckets already have? I see you prefer the 212 over whatever is in the bucket, any reason?? Will probably open my buckets tomorrow to stir. Have to look for my instructions for the Chilean buckets to make sure I don't mess up........ Also have to search my recipes for the Black Currant as Shoebiedoo wants to know how it was made.

Al

Hey Al the pails come with 1118 yeast added. If you wish to use your own preference do as Doug did and make a good yeast starter and add it in before the juice warms up to much. Personally I would not add meta before hand as it is already loaded.
I actually never add meta to juice before adding my starter. Yes, there is wild yeast in the air and yes it will start a fermentation. If you're diligent in making a good strong yeast starter instead of just sprinkling it in the new yeast will become the dominate one and take over.

Al,

I was told and I also believe that I read here that the RC-212 was a very good yeast for the Reds. I've used it in the past with good success. Here is one of the posts.

http://www.winemakingtalk.com/forum/f86/ec-1118-vs-bourgovin-rc-212-yeast-big-red-wines-33079/

On another note, I checked the Barbera last night and this am and the yeast starter appears to have taken off. Both stirs I had signs of active fermentation in juice. Give it a few more days and the aromas will really start. This will still be a slow fermentation, though. My cellar is only at 57 degrees now with the outside temps increasing.

Doug:

Thought about trying the 212 but checked & don't have any. Opened the lids this morning as I noticed them starting to bulge a bit & gave them a good stir. Figured I would stick with the 1118 as its currently starting to work. SG was a little over 1.090 on all of them. Tasted the juice, wow sure have a nice grape taste, could just take a glass of the fresh juice, smells great also.

Al

I would love it if someone would put names with all those pics. I'd kinda like to know who is who

BOB

I would love it if someone would put names with all those pics. I'd kinda like to know who is who

BOB

1. FloandGary
2. GeoS and wife
3. Runningwolf
4. DangerDave and 1/2 of Hokapsig
5. Shoebiedoo's daughter & ffemt128
6. Hokapsig's wife, Karen (left), Almargitas wife, Helen (right)
7. Me and my husband, Mike
8. Mike and Terry0220's husband, Chuck

Me Too :db

also my gewertz is going strong and smelling pretty darn good.

Me Too :db

also my gewertz is going strong and smelling pretty darn good.

How was the acid for your Gwurtz? That is the one that was very low for me last year. I adjusted up and it's coming around. I'm glad I didn't drink much when it was young. I have a case and a half plus a few bottles left that are now a year old.

How was the acid for your Gwurtz? That is the one that was very low for me last year. I adjusted up and it's coming around. I'm glad I didn't drink much when it was young. I have a case and a half plus a few bottles left that are now a year old.

I didn't have an buffing solution to calibrate my meter so I will have to check after fermentation.

And I am finding that the buckets are very good once aged for about 1 1/2 years.

I got busy with spring yard work after I got home, but I'm checking up on the posts now. Spring has sprung!

I had a great time at the gathering, all! It was wonderful to meet everyone and taste all the good wines. I wish I could have stayed longer for the tail-gating party/wine makers tasting, but I had a long four hour drive home, and had already had way too much wine to be driving. I thought that if we only had maybe 8-10 wine makers attending, I would be able to keep my consumption down to a dull roar. I very big cup of coffee got me well on my way to recovery. Next time, I'll plan to stay over the night AFTER the meeting instead of the night before.

The Luva Bella folks were just fantastic! The servers begged us to let them know when we were coming back so they could join in on more tasting!

I've got four bucket going in the Lab as we type. Thanks to my visit to the Pumpkin Seed Bulk Food Company on my way north, I've got some fruit to enhance my buckets. I took the bucket of Moscatel, I added a hefty bag of dried apricots (squeezed daily). I threw an aeromatic sachet of elderflowers into the Sauv Blanc. When the Cab Sauv is almost dry, I'll rack it onto some dried currants and French oak. And the Petit Syrah will get the same treatment with some raisins and oak. What a great hobby, huh!

My wife, Johnna, really loved the 2012 McCorkle Peach. I agreed, the flavor was spot on---like drinking a peach! I very much enjoyed Al Margita's 2011 Blueberry Pomegranate. It was my first taste of blue/pom, which---if you've had some, you'll know---has a unique taste. I've considered making some of my own, and this may push me to it. Perfect! The D&O Wine Cellars 2011 Oaked Noble Muscadine was a new taste for me, as well. A full, round flavor that lingered favorably on the tongue, it went perfetly with the salty pulled beef we had for dinner.

I still have many more to try, thnakfully! More reviews to come!

Latest posts

Back